small green things eating my strawberry leaves!

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

OscarSidcup
KG Regular

Hello all

Well, I thought that December would be a quiet month for pests, with them being killed off by the frost we had earlier, but over the last few days I've still seen some slugs, a couple of big caterpillars near my carrots and now this - no idea what they are so any help welcome...
They are eating in a very orderly manner all the strawberry leaves. Not happy about this. Especially since my garlic is growing nicely in the same raised bed...
Help!

Thanks & Have a nice Christmas!

greenthing.jpg
greenthing.jpg (491.28 KiB) Viewed 6091 times
Nature is simply amazing
Instagram: @frankinkent
Primrose
KG Regular

Can't help I'm afraid. The caterpillars are still active here too. Despite thoroughly soaking and washing some kale the other evening a boiled caterpillar ended up on my husband's dinner plate. He wasn't amused. :o I'd assumed the recent frosts and rain would have killed most of the bugs off..
KG Steve
KG Editor

Might be tortrix moth caterpillars Oscar. They usually loop as they walk and may weave the leave together with silk. Unlikely to damage your garlic and can be squashed or picked off and fed to the birds. If the problem gets out of hand you can spray too of course.
Steve Ott
Kitchen Garden Editor
OscarSidcup
KG Regular

Thanks Steve. I will now go through the plants with a fine tooth comb to pick them off. I am reassured about the garlic too. If everything else fail, then I will buy a loom and weave silk...
Nature is simply amazing
Instagram: @frankinkent
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic