Fewer trusses on tomato plants this yesr

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Primrose
KG Regular

I tend to be greedy with my outdoor tomato plants and let them grow as many trusses as I think will ripen, even if the last fruits are small and have to finish ripening off indoors to be used for soup and cooking.

But this year it's noticeable that quite a number of my plants have failed to start forming even a fourth truss, despite regular feeding. Any flowers have just not set to fruit. Anybody else had the same problem with outdoor plants? Possibly due to cold wet summer we've had ?
Last edited by Primrose on Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Primrose, i have grown outdoor girl this year and mine are the same. I think mine may have got a virus though, probably brought in by the blackfly that they were covered in, earlier in the year.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
robo
KG Regular

I only grow tomatoes in our polytunnel but my wife grows cherry tomatoes in the tunnel and all around our plot mine have been a bit slow ripening but otherwise ok hers seem to be better outside than the ones in the tunnel but not as good as last year
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Outdoor are smaller plants this year and certainly fewer flowers and trusses. Even the two in greenhouse have not produced much in way of fruit despite being 5 to 6 ft tall.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic