Ruddy Pigeons

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Westi
KG Regular

Grrrr!

Wind blew up the edge of the evironmesh over the broad beans. Not only did the pigeons nip through the stems of all the broad beans that were uncovered in that corner, one of them was obviously bold enough to go under the rest of the cover that was still weighted down & nip through nearly all of the others as well! Have tried loads of things to scare them off but only covering seems to work, but they will still jump on the top of a net to nibble on the brassicas. The only thing that does work is when the farmer has his bird scarer on in the field behind but that is generally only early spring & again in late summer.

Oh well will just have to go for a later sowing next year!

Westi
Westi
robo
KG Regular

Im having the same problem with my cabbages they have a distinct look of colanders, full of holes
Motherwoman
KG Regular

Depends how low down they've nipped them Westi, the Broadies may shoot out from the base.
Westi
KG Regular

Right at the base MW & funnily all laying the same way just as if they'd gone along from one to the other for a bit of fun! They haven't actually eaten them so obviously prefer the brassicas for a nibble & these for entertainment purposes!

Westi
Westi
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Westi, regarding the Broad Beans, i you sure the Pidgeons aren't taking the blame for the Mice.....
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

OH just reminded me, we have lot's of rats and mice though they seem to prefer the taste of plastic and rubber under car bonnets. (Tom-Cat blocks are keeping the numbers down) Both us and our neighbours have been attacked to the point cars had to go into the garage for repairs but they don't bother my vegetable patch. Nor do we have pigeons in this valley, possibly because of the number of birds-of-prey we have. Lot's of collared doves but they don't attack my veg-plot and whilst they regularly get taken by buzzards the doves don't seem to bright even though we love them.
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
Westi
KG Regular

Good point OH! I did think mice but thought they would take the seed as well but they were still in the ground. Might not be next time I go down though - I will check again!

Westi
Westi
Monika
KG Regular

Westi, I am with OH here. We found one year that the mice were biting the broad bean seed off the stem as the seedling had already come through, but thereby severing the stem and killing the plant. Most annoying. Luckily, mouse manners seem to to have improved since then.
Motherwoman
KG Regular

Mice are the reason I net. Bean seeds go in, hoops go over the rows, fine net goes over the hoops and it gets pegged down!

I do have a friendly puss cat pops over from the houses behind, he comes and sits on my lap when I stop for a cuppa. I'm cultivating him as an ally against rodents...

MW
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic