Aphids all over the kale

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Daveswife
KG Regular

Underside of curly kale leaves are carpeted with aphids. All the plants in our garden are the same, so no wonder the growing tips are looking sick. I have never seen so many aphids. There are 20 plants, two different varieties, all affected; we are in the East Midlands. Help! What can I do? Is the only answer to squirt the aphids off? All suggestions gratefully received!
Angie
alan refail
KG Regular

Question: what colour aphids?
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

I'm still getting holes in the tough outer leaves which surprises me but no aphids and though I haven't toured each and every plant I do regularly pick kale so I would notice.

I get brown blotches on the tall outer leaves and assume this to be from them rubbing against the netting but aphids ? I'll go and do another check when the wind and rain subside a little.
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
Daveswife
KG Regular

Alan, The aphids are grey, look like thick dust. They don't fly when I ping the leaf, nor do they fall off. There are plenty of whitefly on the Brussels sprouts and there are also similar aphids on the sprouting broccoli. I noticed that some weeks ago but I don't mind sacrificing a couple of plants to a pest if they leave the other plants alone. Dream on, Mrs!

I suspect the only solution is to blast the aphids off by squirting them with a jet of water and discard the lower leaves. Actually, they are doing a good job of discarding themselves - the weight of the bugs is enough to pull them off.

What with this and the leek moth ...... sigh.
Angie
alan refail
KG Regular

Sounds like these nasty fellows :(

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=656
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

Thanks also from me Alan, because I'm thinking the winter months are devoid of at-least the air-born pests.

This problem I have with holes in leaves on just about everything persists over all six of my raised beds and two of those are 50 paces away from the others. Most of my soil is heavily supported by local manure and my own composted material, presumably these are the breeding grounds.

Comfrey and borage are not affected together with French tarragon, giant parsley and some flowering bi-annuals called sweet-rocket.

In another bed the little gem is all holes and wormy in the outer leaves yet the coriander is unaffected. This has been the very first and most fabulous crop of coriander I had in three years of trying, why do seed companies sell stuff that is naff ?
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
Primrose
KG Regular

My curly kale and Cavalo nero plants are the same. I give them a good shake whenever I pass but I fear many of them return. It suspect it's partially due to the mild autumn we've been having. I!m hoping that today's torrential rain will have washed some of them off and drowned them. . Any pickings certainly need a good wash and soak before they are cooked. Perhaps a couple of sharp frosts will reduce the problem .
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Dad used to spray them with salt water.
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

Salt water ? And I have yet to try garlic spray though you do need to see your enemy. In my case all I see is holes.

My kale plants are getting less holey, I cut all the bottom leaves as I slowly realise you get those fresh tufts of growth but the problem is that the plant gets to two foot high and I really do need low growing plants though the netting is coping at the moment. Ah-yes, and whatever makes holes in the cavelo nero doesn't bother with the kurly kale.

I don't like it either, I only sowed it because of the claims it was a new and extra tasty type.

Marketing eh.

When most of you are getting a windy day I get a hooligan. I am determined though, my broccoli looks happy under the micro polytunnels and the great thing about polythene during wet weather is that the ground can dry out a little.
Richard.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic