sweetcorn/rats

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

retropants
KG Regular

well, it has taken them some years, but the local vermin population has finally worked out how to get to the cobs of corn protected by plastic bottles. for years they have left them alone. now it seems, they have got the knack of getting up inside the bottle, pushing it off and eating every last kernel. I was hoping to harvest the last 4 cobs yesterday, but all have been noshed. NOT a happy bunny, the corn was really good this year.
Westi
KG Regular

Every year mice get my sweetcorn so I didn't even sow any this year. I was going to try the plastic bottle trick for next year. I don't think I have rats so hoping it will work on mice.

Westi
Westi
robo
KG Regular

Put some sticky pads on the ground near the plants put a little bit of chocolate in the centre wont take long to rid your plot of them
retropants
KG Regular

What are these sticky pads of which you speak robo? I am intrigued!
Beryl
KG Regular

Yes I am intrigued too Robo. Do the rats find the chocolate poisonous or what? I imagine any pad with something to stick the chocolate will do.

Beryl.
robo
KG Regular

Have a look at amazon sticky pads vermin control they are not cheap I think I paid around £16 for 9 but you can cut them in half, basically a piece of cardboard about 9 x 6 inches when cut covered in a strong sticky adhesive a bit of chocolate will attract the rat once they step on them its over, I bought them direct from the makers I will try and find the name and post it on here
robo
KG Regular

retropants
KG Regular

gosh, that's grim.....stuck alive for ever on a piece of board....plus, we can only get there twice a week, so I think alternative methods are required, perhaps an allotment cat? :?

thanks though Robo!
Beryl
KG Regular

Mmmmm interesting but I think I too will pass on this one. But thanks for the info.

Beryl.
peter
KG Regular

Vol au vents for foxes. :twisted:
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
alan refail
KG Regular

Glue traps! I never heard of them till now. What a vile way to kill anything - even a rat!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQPP0LTWWEQ

WARNING: The video is not for the squeamish - but it's the reality.
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
robo
KG Regular

When I was using them I checked them every morning I did not find one rat that was alive, I dont think its any worst than using poison that takes days to kill them but I have never worried about killing vermin
Elaine
KG Regular

Oh I don't think I could use those.... I wouldn't have the stomach to put them out of their misery. I had enough problems despatching a poor bird which had been badly injured by a neighbours cat.
Happy with my lot
Primrose
KG Regular

I'm intrigued exactly how you use the plastic bottles to protect your Sweetcorn. Do you slice them down their entire length to act as a collar around the stem base or somehow use them as a collars round each individual cob while it's growing? If the latter does that affect pollination?
Last edited by Primrose on Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
retropants
KG Regular

Primrose, we cut the bottom off and slide them over the cob once it is pollinated. The creatures aren't interested in them until they are ripe. This year, however, the figured out how to push the bottles back off again :( :( :(
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic