Bayer Organic Bug Clear is it any good? URGENT please

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

vegpatchmum
KG Regular

Okay guys, I have to go and get some organic pest killer to use in the school polytunnel this morning! We have tiny caterpillars.

I've googled and come across Bayer Organic Bug Free which has had very good reviews BUT it doesn't list caterpillars as a specific pest.

Has anyone used this stuff and is it any good?

Or can anyone recommend another solution to caterpillars (other than squidging them) that should be available in the garden centre?

Thanks guys,
VPM
x
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Dad used to spray the plants with a can of water with a tablespoon of salt to get rid of caterpillars. I've only used the Bayer insecticide for greenfly, but it is very good.
vegpatchmum
KG Regular

PLUMPUDDING wrote:Dad used to spray the plants with a can of water with a tablespoon of salt to get rid of caterpillars. .

Lol, funny you should mention that. After my trip to the garden centre proved fruitless I Googled some more and came across the salt water theory and so yesterday I made some and then sprayed all the plants in the polytunnel.

I also moved the trays containing the plants with caterpillar damage away from the rest and spaced the non-damaged trays out to make it more difficult for caterpillars to crawl across from one tray to another.

Today when I went to water the plants, there were no newly damaged plants and I only found around half a dozen of the blighters on the quarantined plants. So I squished those and then sprayed everything with more salt water to get at those which may be hiding. I hope that this approach will sort the problem out and we now plan to put some sort of detachable screen around the polytunnel door so we can continue to open it during really hot weather.

Thanks for the suggestion though Plumpudding :D

VPM
x
Last edited by vegpatchmum on Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Glad it worked vpm. Much cheaper than over the counter insecticides too. I think the dilution is pretty safe, and it isn't as if you will be using it often so it shouldn't build up in the soil.
vegpatchmum
KG Regular

My thoughts exactly plumpudding. Oh and apologies for the mix up in my reply to your first post - I have now amended it. I think I've been in the greenhouse/polytunnel for too long and I have brain addle :oops: :roll: :wink:

VPM
x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic