What went wrong with my over-wintered geranium cuttings?

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Primrose
KG Regular

They've been on indoor window sills since last autumn surviving well, then about 3/4 weeks ago many of the leaves turned reddish/orange or dropped off. Could I have overwatered or underwatered, and do they stand any chance of regenerating themselves in this state if I plant them out?
sally wright
KG Regular

Dear Primrose,
tip one out of it's pot and look for some small white grubs with brown heads. If you find some then all the plants will need re-potting after having all the soil shaken off. These are vine weevil grubs and the soil must go into a green bin or chicken run to get rid of them.
Regards Sally Wright.
Primrose
KG Regular

That's really helpful Sally. When it stops pouring down with rain I'll go out and check them. How would the grubs have got there?. Do they just remain dormant in the compost in the pot and then suddenly start to hatch out?
FelixLeiter
KG Regular

Primrose wrote:do they stand any chance of regenerating themselves in this state if I plant them out?

Regarding the chance of regeneration, the answer is: highly likely, but with some help. If indeed the roots have gone, geraniums re-root readily. To help them on their way, though, don't plant them out yet. Instead, treat them as cuttings, in a close environment, in warmth and out of direct sun. In any case, you need to tip some out of their pots to see what's gone wrong at the roots. Potting into fresh compost usually does the trick.
Allotment, but little achieved.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic