Any lawn experts out there?

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Primrose
KG Regular

We have several patches of really thick bladed grass appearing in our lawn which I'd like to try and eliminate as they look unsightly. Any advice on how to get rid of them?. I recently used a granular moss/weed killer and it hasn't touched them.
peter
KG Regular

Hand "puffer" or gel-pack of glyphosate / Roundup.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
John
KG Regular

Hello Primrose
I'm not an expert I'm afraid. I think your best bet would be simply to dig out these clumps as best you can. You will get some re-growth but if you keep at it you'll get rid of the stuff eventually. If you are left with bare patches sprinkle in some grass seed as patches are soon colonised by weeds.
The old wisdom that regular close mowing encourages finer grasses over the coarser ones is still very true.
There are never an quick fixes for lawn problems only patient attention over months and years!

John
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
FelixLeiter
KG Regular

Primrose wrote:I recently used a granular moss/weed killer and it hasn't touched them.

Lawn weedkiller only kills broadleaved weeds — dandelions, daisies and their ilk — and moss killer kills only moss. Coarse grasses are left intact because they are grass, just not lawn grass. Regular close mowing does indeed keep them at bay, and spraying with glyphosate is effective but can leave your lawn looking like you keep an incontinent dog if you're not careful.
There are quick fixes for lawns if you are prepared to patch in pieces of turf.
Allotment, but little achieved.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic