The dreaded over-wintering whitefly are back

Can't identify that mould? Got a great tip for keeping slugs at bay? Suggestions for organic weed control? Post them here...

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter

Primrose
KG Regular

Every year I bring some chilli plants indoors to over-winter on windowsills and every year at some point I end up with a whitefly infestation.
Can anybody suggest how I might avoid this. Is the lack of air movement around the plants which is making them more susceptible? Do I have a dilemma of whitefly, or no whitefly but open windows and vastly increasing my heating bill?
I also seem to be spawning a batch of mini flies from the potted compost the plants are in.
Colin_M
KG Regular

Whitefly?
I associate whitefly with what I get on greens, cale etc.

On indoor chillies, the main problem I suffer from is aphids - the light green ones.
ken
KG Regular

I'm not really an expert, but do know that whitefly can be a serious problem in greenhouses, where the conditions might be broadly similar to yours. I don't know whether the whitefly are being brought in with your chilli plants, or possibly are lying in wait in the house, waiting for a good meal and breeding opportunity? Would a biological pest control (encarsia) be the answer?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic