For frying out loud!!

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

snooky
KG Regular

The title of this thread refers to a story in the local evening paper.
An animal rights group wants an award- winning fish and chip shop to rename it"s fish as"sea kittens"in belief that customers will be put off asking for a fish supper!!! And rename the shop "Finnegan"s Sea Kitten Bar!!!
"Would you like salt and vinegar with your sea kitten and chips"??
The author of this request states that catching fish is akin to torturing kittens.The sad part is that he is sincere;but it makes me think "from which funny farm did he escape from"?
Regards snooky

---------------------------------
A balanced diet is a beer in both hands!
WARNING.!!... The above post may contain an opinion
Geoff
KG Regular

I don't fry them I just set the dog on them.
I keep wanting to make some sticky labels that say "WITH CHIPS" to put on all those signs that say "THINK HORSE". Why should none Road Tax payers have right of way to ride a horse they barely have control of whilst leading another?
Compo
KG Regular

Oh my God!!!

Whatever next!!!

CoMpO :roll:
If I am not on the plot, I am not happy.........
alan refail
KG Regular

I'm entirely in favour of the ethical treatment of animals, but this just makes PETA look pathetic. Have a look at this nonsense.

It's about time we stopped cruelty to vegetables isn't it?
Chantal
KG Regular

Some lunatic wrote to our local paper a few years back about saving earthworms. His diatribe urged everyone to eat meat instead of vegetables because "all the worms are chopped up when the fields are ploughed for vegetable planting".

Mad as a box of frogs :roll:
Chantal

I know this corner of the earth, it smiles for me...
peter
KG Regular

People with too much time on their hands, perhaps they should relocate to a part of the world where they have to struggle to survive, just for a year or two before they were allowed back, then we wouldn't hear so much arrant nonsense from them again.

If memory serves me correctly some of the anti-hunting mob have moved on to anti-fishing, recreational fishing that is, and started disrupting fishing competitions.

Perhaps they should study Jainism, where "Non-injury commonly means vegetarianism, but some Jains have been known to starve themselves to death in order to avoid harming any living creature. There are even those who wear masks over their mouths and noses to avoid any possibility of breathing in tiny insects."
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi Peter,
I feel that rather than just reading about Jainism they should become active practitioners!
JB.
lizzie
KG Regular

Oh, ffs.........whatever next.........they wanna be thankful that they have food to eat, water to drink and that they don't have to walk far to get either of these things.........bloody bleeding heart do gooders get right on my ***s......... :x
Lots of love

Lizzie
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

The thing that does make this story worse, is that the people that write this stuff, get just the response they are hoping for.

But i do have a job ignoring it myself.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
garden_serf
KG Regular

I'd like to know what these people eat?
Maybe a person's time would be as well spent raising food as raising money to buy food - Frank A. Clark.
alan refail
KG Regular

garden_serf wrote:I'd like to know what these people eat?
garden_serf
KG Regular

Yeah exactly Alan...NOTHING!

You can't sustain yourself on nothing.
I was aquainted with a lady once (a neighbour) who was a vegan.
When the local kids were invited to hers for a birthday party they would dread it! and come in to me to get some 'proper food' and drink after / during.
She expected her kids, husband, other kids and visitors to eat her homemade oat biscuits (plain, no sugar) and drink water. They were like tasteless cardboard (I got caught once :roll: .....never again!).

Now I am sure most vegans do it properly and others have no choice but to be vegan because of allergies, but she most definitely got it wrong. She looked like a walking skeleton/ghost, with lank hair, brown teeth, bad breath, no energy and was always getting ill (she could not work because she was always ill! and she had 2 degrees including a teaching cert - thankfully she never got to teach any kids!).
She also chose to wash her clothes (and teeth) in salt , all her clothes (and her families!) looked a similar shade of grey, not clean at all.
She taught both her kids at home and made proper outcastes of both of them She said she could not work because of various things including having to teach her own children at home, but was always able to go and cash her giros on time!
I think one of the most enjoyable things in life is tasting food and exploring foods from different cultures. Sharing the cooking and eating (and drinking) with others is a pleasurable sociable passtime and necessary for our wellbeing. Why not do it if you can?
Maybe a person's time would be as well spent raising food as raising money to buy food - Frank A. Clark.
Johnboy
KG Regular

Hi LPP,
Thinking of becoming a "do gooder!" But before making such a momentous step may I enquire how long the queue is?
JB.
Compo
KG Regular

I believe it is very short Johnboy, but I also understand that when you get to hte had of said queue the outcome is very disappointing!!!

CoMpO
If I am not on the plot, I am not happy.........
peter
KG Regular

garden_serf wrote:I'd like to know what these people eat?

Shit?

It's a natural byproduct of life and there's plenty of it to go round.

Oh no, they can't do that, it would be depriving dung beetles of their vital sustenance. :wink:
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic