More by luck than judgement

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Pa Snip
KG Regular

25th May 2016
I posted pictures of the pear tree on our allotment that had apparently caught a disease from a neighbouring plots pear tree, the leaves were going black / brown curling up and dying. Action needed taking........................

09:48am
DSC_544803.jpg
DSC_544803.jpg (275.38 KiB) Viewed 3015 times

....so I took it and cut back hard

10:11 am
DSC_545005.jpg
DSC_545005.jpg (158.56 KiB) Viewed 3015 times

Some of you suggested I had been too drastic

Knowing little about tree pruning I could only put faith in having some luck.

19-4-18
DSC_041205-crop-edit.jpg
DSC_041205-crop-edit.jpg (319.53 KiB) Viewed 3015 times

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Primrose
KG Regular

Well it looks as if the keen haircut didnt push it beyond redamotion. It will be interesting to see what happens to the leaves when they open fully. Of course the disease may just have been having a rest, only to strike agin with equal force as the tree revives but at least you’ve given it a chance. Afraid I don,t have any fruit trees so not familiar with any sprays which might help. Is the offending nearby tree still there ?
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Primrose, both the offending tree and sadly the owner have succumbed, might give my tree a better chance.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Westi
KG Regular

My pear tree has/had scab & I did pretty much the same but my tree is a bit bigger. Last year I had quite a few pears higher on the tree that were without spots! I was a bit ruthless this year again with the pruning & sealed the cracks in the bark as well - I will report back but worrying at the moment as a bit later coming into leaf!
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic