(Delayed) Spring 2018

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Pa Snip
KG Regular

Enjoyable part of today was this afternoon when I managed to get up the plot and did some rotavating. Thanks to son in law for finishing it off.
Daughter, son in law and grandson were well into sorting the plot out ready for this years planting & sowing.
It was looking good when I left them to it.

Feeling good this evening despite the effort & energy spent on the rotavating I did.
No question, working the plot makes me feel good despite The Alien Within

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Geoff
KG Regular

Glad you've got some meaningful work done, it is the greatest therapy even without your extra problem.

Looks like normal service resumes here.

normal.jpg
normal.jpg (48.06 KiB) Viewed 4484 times
Primrose
KG Regular

First picking of forced rhubarb today. There's always something of a ritual about this, being the first crop of Spring, rather like the long awaited first picking of asparagus, not that I have enough space grow any of that. Having it gently stewed with orange and stem ginger. I love the bright pink stems and the fresh green leaves - always a pleasure to pick the first batch.

Oh, and I've dug the garden furniture out of winter storage and put it out on the patio. How's that for anticipating a few Spring mid morning cups of al fresco coffee ? Probably a little too early for outdoor breakfasts though!
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Last Chillies potted on and 5 varieties of Tomato now sown in the propagator, Red Pear and Red Cherry are new ones to me
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I've never forced rhubarb as the Timperley Early is usually ready in March anyway although it's a bit later this year. Does forcing it make much difference to the texture and flavour as they say it does?
Westi
KG Regular

Today looked bad on the main weather report & my phone was pants too, but it was gloriously sunny all afternoon. Now tomorrow is giving the same grim news on the phone so I hope it is wrong as the Wonder Wall goes up. Whatever the wind seems light which is probably more important.

My plan is to mooch & get some things sown (or re-sown is more accurate) & entertain the dog while hubby & a lad from his work do the build. I've got biscuits & snacks & a new gas canister for endless tea, so it should be fine. What could possibly go wrong???? Sorry you (& I) have to wait until tomorrow for the outcome!
Westi
Monika
KG Regular

Forced rhubarb, PP: I usually force one of our rhubarb plants (Timperley Early) each year and they are softer and more tender to eat than unforced ones. This year I did not bother and the first sticks are just about ready to pull which is considerably later than usual. And I know they will be slightly coarser.

Good luck with putting up the Wonderwall, Westi. I have often seen the adverts for it and it will be interesting to know whether it really is as useful as claimed!
Colin2016
KG Regular

It is starting to look like an allotment at last.

There are new buds in the orchard....The veg beds are looking good...But don't linger in the rubbish corner.
Attachments
Allotment April Tatty end.jpg
Allotment April Tatty end.jpg (926.42 KiB) Viewed 4424 times
Beds April.jpg
Beds April.jpg (856.06 KiB) Viewed 4424 times
Orchard April sm.jpg
Orchard April sm.jpg (1.31 MiB) Viewed 4424 times
Geoff
KG Regular

That looks like a fantastic effort, your neighbours seem to have a bit of catching up to do!
Primrose
KG Regular

This has obviously involved a lot of hard physical work so well done on getting it to this state. Bet you’re itching to get stuff sown and planted now so you can reap some dividends.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Well done Colin and you will reap the rewards of all your hard work....
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

oldherbaceous wrote:Well done Colin and you will reap the rewards of all your hard work....

or the wildlife will

Some good work been done there

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Diane
KG Regular

Wonderful work Colin. You should be very proud.
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
Westi
KG Regular

Yeah! The Wonder Wall is up!

Well not the full 10 metres, fortunately it flexes in size hence the rolled netting attached to the frame! The reason being I planned to heel in the leeks elsewhere but there were too many & looking too good to consider moving them just yet. As we needed access to all of the inside & outside & I didn't want the leeks stomped on so made the decision to shorten it for this season. 3 1/2 hours for the boys to get up & lots of banter & biscuits, everything promised was in the pack & the photo instructions were easy to follow. We changed a few things as well to suit us like the anchor of the roof net (windy site) & the door, but I'm happy & hopefully the plants in there will be happy. Still got some finishing touches but here it is!
IMG_2638.JPG
IMG_2638.JPG (2.35 MiB) Viewed 4387 times
Westi
robo
KG Regular

Very posh westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic