Visiting suggestions

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Monika
KG Regular

Have a great weekend, Pa Snip! The weather should be kind(ish) to you.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Thank you for the good wishes, I am really looking forward to this trip.
Given what I have heard I am even thinking of trying some rissoles at some fancy Skipton restaurant :)

OH, I rarely take many pictures but I'll see what I can do in this instance (Typed with tongue in cheek, it's amazing what the alien lets you do sometimes 8) :lol:

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Geoff
KG Regular

There used to be an award winning pork pie shop, probably not as dietary correct as they used to be.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Geoff if we find the shop and I'm in a position to swallow then a good pork pie would be a goner

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Monika
KG Regular

The pie shop is Stanforths, Pa Snip, on Gargrave Road. Go up the High Street towards the church and castle (worth visiting!!!), turn left and the shop is about 20 yards on your left. I am not a friend of pork pies but I understand they are very tasty ....
Westi
KG Regular

Enjoy your weekend Pa! The forum guys have done well with some suggestions, right down to lunch. If the alien is playing up there is a Golden Arches everywhere & one bite of a big mac is like eating baby food so should go down easy.
Westi
Geoff
KG Regular

Is the travelogue still work in progress? Hope it went well.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Hi Geoff
Yes it is in progress, need to make time to deal with it.
Driving up on Friday I made a bad decision, by way of a change I thought we would travel M4o, M42, M5 M6. All went well until M6, Constant roadworks !!
journey up took 8 hours including breakfast stop. Can recommend Harry Ramsden breakfast at motorway services

Stopped in Skipton for 2 nights at The Unicorn, mediocre place but comfortable bed. Sole reason wife booked it was its close proximity to station we were travelling from

Geoff
KG Regular

The M6 Staffordshire / Cheshire is a disaster, we have relations in Shropshire who always use the A49 instead. Glad I've retired and no longer have to regularly visit Thame in Oxfordshire by that route. Not looking forward to my drive to Eastbourne planned for June. Couldn't have advised on hotels, don't know anything about them.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

As a number of you sent your good wishes for my birthday & trip last weekend I feel I must once again say thank you for your words and suggestions.

There have been some comments during the last few months about posts that do not relate to the original subject, or dare I say even contain humour, shock horror, and I therefore feel that my posting a pictorial review of our weekend is deviating away from the forum subject of the kitchen garden.

In summary.
Our weekend was tiring but fun.
The Unicorn hotel in Skipton is tired and in need of some internal TLC ( I don't like eggs with burnt edges either)
Our steam trip was a long day, the silver service in our first class carriage was excellent as was the content of both breakfast and dinner
Whatever our members in the Yorkshire area may say they must be richer than us down south judging by the number of swimming pools they had in their fields, The place was a quagmire in so many parts.

The track and road side verges were awash with daffodils and looked really beautiful. Trackside primroses added to the scene.

Finally, back on forum subject, we were both surprised by the number of rear gardens and allotments that contained polytunnels, not the amateur Gardman type things, proper polytunnels.

oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Morning Pa Snip, glad all went well.......I don't like crispy edged eggs either... :)

Rearding your comments of posts that are beng disliked, Pa Snip, well, my view on the matter is, as long as they are not aggresive, or really arguementitive, any thing can go. I know it's nice to try and keep general chatter, in the general chatter posts but, all conversations normally lead onto other things....and more importantly, the day humour and the caring words finish on the forum, I off and I don't say that lightly.

So, if you do get the time and feel up to it, I for one would love to see your pictures....and if you can add some of your wonderful humorous words to go along with them, all the better.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Gerry
KG Regular

Very well said, OH.
Geoff
KG Regular

Getting withdrawal symptoms, was expecting my fix of train pictures, not to say some Yorkshire countryside as well. As you probably know, some of the polytunnels in the countryside are actually lambing enclosures.
robo
KG Regular

Bah I didn't know that ,no doubt when you get out of the cities in Yorkshire you see some amazing views
Pa Snip
KG Regular

As a few will have come to realise over the period I have been on this forum I rarely let the opportunity for a wind up pass by.
Such was the case on Saturday.

Mrs S, and my long lasting friend from schooldays who had taken the opportunity to meet us in Whitby, took our patronage into a tea shop in Whitby and some while after serving us the waitress (probable joint owner) came over to me and said that the staff thought I looked and sounded like John McCririck (horse racing pundit) and that she was surprised I wasn't elsewhere as it was Grand National day.

I let it pass for a few minutes, then went to the counter and said to her "Actually I am his stunt double"
As we left the premises I called out to her that she should watch the tele later as I would get him to give her a name check.

She looked excited, I wonder how long she sat watching the tele. Comparing me with that misogynist indeed !!!!! :D

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic