Still too cold for gardening

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

tigerburnie
KG Regular

ImageBM1K6623 by tigerburnie, on Flickr
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Lovely picture Tigerburnie, it's certainly going to be a late start this year!
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Geoff
KG Regular

As long as it is a smooth start all will be well, none of this April cold snap nonsense to spoil the fruit thank you.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Juvenile Golden Eagle.jpg
Juvenile Golden Eagle.jpg (307.79 KiB) Viewed 4435 times

This made my day, I've seen this young Eagle quite a few times, so hopefully it'll survive the winter.
Geoff
KG Regular

Great picture, very jealous, we only get tourist eagles (buzzards).
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Lovely photos Tiger. We had about 4 inches of snow yesterday morning but it melted on the roads and pavements by afternoon. The soil is still covered though so I've not planted my pots of garlic or the onion setts and shallots yet. Can't wait for things to warm up a bit.

The Eagle is wonderful. I've only seen them twice, a golden eagle in the Cairngorms and a sea eagle on Mull.
Monika
KG Regular

Great photo, tigerburnie! We are like Geoff, it's mainly buzzards here and the occasional red kite ......

After yesterday's snow which melted very quickly, it was almost a spring day today: 11C, just a very light breeze and mainly sunny. As usual, my itchy fingers got going with the sowing (in the greenhouse, now slightly heated). I sowed celeriac Monarch, herbs, mixed lettuce, radish and spring onion (the last three in pots) and a lot of hardy annuals for our 'nectar bar' on the allotment. I also brought the fuchsias out of their hibernation and sprayed them to start them off.

Just hope it's not going to turn arctic again!
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Thanks for the kind comments, two things, one it might be a White Tailed Eagle, very rare round here, but we do get them and two, trekking in knee deep snow wasn't my best decision apparently, as I'm now laid low with a flu type virus(so much for the flu jab!!)SWMBO not a happy bunny, the doc told her to sit on me for a week(and the sweet peas need potting on too..)
Diane
KG Regular

Hope you soon feel better - take all the rest you can, and then some.
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
Westi
KG Regular

Oh Tiger, bad news!

Flu jab only good for Flu A (I think that's the one), but it's Flu B that has arrived in the UK. (Maybe vice versa)! Your flu jab will give you protection from the worst effects but no where totally. Always a gamble which one is offered though. The UK looked the usual direction in the Southern hemisphere as their winter is first, Australia got the worst death toll from flu through their winter, so that was the one chosen for us as the risk was higher, but the world is a small place & other Flu sneaks in. Don't take the risk of not having your flu jab next year - that will make it's job too easy! Yep might get it but will survive it even if wrong strain offered. It can & does kill - even the young & healthy.
Westi
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

That should cheer him up Westi.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic