Cutting holes in weed fabric

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

lez
KG Regular

Hi Ya, Just been reading an article in a magazine about weed fabric. I have some but am yet to use it. I have tried it but the holes kept fraying. This article said about using a bean tin heated up with a blow torch and cutting holes which are sealed up by the heat. 3", three inches seems to be the ideal size and I was wondering if any one has tried this and what are the pros and cons of applying such a method of planting. It seems like a good idea to me. Be interesting if any use this method and what drawbacks there are in doing so.
robo
KG Regular

I'm not that fastidious ,I slice it with a Stanley type knife it never comes in the size you want to cover so there is usually a cut end to fray I suppose you could melt the ends with a gas torch
lez
KG Regular

Hi Ya Robo, I tried using knives but they need to be very sharp. I even tried a blowtorch bit it was to fierce for the job of sealing the ends. I to am not that fastidious but do like it neat. I thought it may make the fabric last longer if the holes were sealed and maybe it could be used again. I have never used it much before but after last years invasion by a new weed that is very tenacious I am considering it. I will have a play and see where I go. Thanks for the speedy reply.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Afternoon Lez, It sounds a good idea, but have never tried it......so i think it's down to you, to try it and kindly report back.... :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
robo
KG Regular

I've used it a lot on my raised beds it works well keeping weeds down but I find what you are growing through it douse not seem to grow as well as being in bare soil ,this year I'm using cardboard over my raised beds as I don't think ill have the time to weed and hoe with everything else going on
Westi
KG Regular

Hi lez!
I heat up my knife and then cut the hole. I use one of those mini blowtorches designed for use in cooking which was free on a magazine. Works really well and very quick to do as well. I hate digging up bits of the thread in the soil so highly recommend this as then you can adjust the size to the hole needed for each plant. Like the tin idea if you want smaller holes.
Westi
sally wright
KG Regular

Dear Lez
one of the easiest ways of stopping the fabric fraying is to cut an X and then fold under the triangular edges a couple of times and staple them using a desk top paper stapler.
Regards Sally Wright.
Primrose
KG Regular

What a good idea ! Once again Sally comes to the rescue !
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic