Sign of the Times.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Shallot Man
KG Regular

One of our local Supermarkets are having a Barber Shop installed. :? :?
Diane
KG Regular

Good idea I suppose. After all you can get your eyes tested in some, and buy glasses. What next I wonder. Maybe get your corns taken care of? Anything to attract custom in this competitive retail jungle.
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
Primrose
KG Regular

Pity they dont install some visiting doctors while they’re at it. Might be a darned sight quicker and more convenient than trying to get an appointment at our local surgery !
WestHamRon
KG Regular

They have Pharmacists. I'm sure I read recently that "the authorities" were encouraging people to use these rather than clog-up Doctors' waiting rooms.
Shallot Man
KG Regular

WestHamRon wrote:They have Pharmacists. I'm sure I read recently that "the authorities" were encouraging people to use these rather than clog-up Doctors' waiting rooms.

They also save on prescriptions.
Westi
KG Regular

We've a dentist in the local Sainsbury's along with the pharmacist.
Westi
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I wish they had a Post office in any of our local supermarkets, so my Mum could get her Pension....it would make it a lot easier since we don't have a bus service to speak of. Does anyone else have one in their supermarket?
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Shallot Man
KG Regular

oldherbaceous wrote:I wish they had a Post office in any of our local supermarkets, so my Mum could get her Pension....it would make it a lot easier since we don't have a bus service to speak of. Does anyone else have one in their supermarket?

Tesco & Sainsbury do a banking service.
Geoff
KG Regular

Co-op do funerals, never seen a bogof offer though.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

The Sainsburys in Dundee has an Argos shop, I guess now they've killed off all the high street independent shops they're moving up the chain, I wonder which charity shop will be the first to move into a supermarket.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Our local Co op has a post office which is a good thing because they have closed all the banks but one and that is closing in a couple of months.
Our new barbers shop was raided by anti terrorist police a few weeks ago as part of a city wide operation but I don't think anyone was arrested!!!!!
Diane
KG Regular

Our Co-op has a post office too. Very useful. Which also acts as a bank.
Last edited by Diane on Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
Geoff
KG Regular

Our Post Office has moved into the greengrocers. We are also down to one bank from three. First they moved my account to another branch 10 miles away and made my branch a sub-branch then I went to it one day and found it boarded up with an auction sign on it, never received notification even though I had banked there for about 40 years. I've never been to the new branch, if I have to pay in I use the Post Office with everything else online.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

My friend went to the HSBC 12 miles away and was told that she could not pay a bill in cash. She was furious.
Primrose
KG Regular

Unfortunately banks have a monopoly of the "money" market and can pretty much dictate how and what they do.

I wish there was a way that the ordinary man and woman in the street could fight back, but unfortunately unless an alternative is found to money, there isn't much we can do to influence the closing of banks and post offices. I do think though, that thee institutions have a social duty to the society they "allege" to serve, and when the only post office for miles closes, or the last bank in a small town or village closes its doors, they have no idea on the hardships it can cause, especially to older members of society and those who are not mobile, or who rely on almost non existent public transport.

Sadly we're not a very "moral" society any more. Capitalism can go too far sometimes. These days it's every organisation for itself!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic