Late Winter Bits and Bobs - 2018

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Looks like, Late Winter Bits and Bobs, is going to go on for a while yet..... :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Primrose
KG Regular

Yes, definitely not a good time to be sleeping rough in a shop entrance doorway.
Monika
KG Regular

At least were were warned! We did a big shop last Saturday, making sure we had enough food for about a week, and it's been very useful to date.
It's -5C already and snowing hard as well.
Primrose
KG Regular

I suppose there’s psychologically something rather comforting about being costly tucked up indoors with a full store cupboard when it’s snowing hard.
I’ve found that since retiring it’s a lot more comforting knowing I don’t have to get up at 6 am to face a commute down a snow blocked motorway!
Geoff
KG Regular

My wife keeps mentioning shopping, we did a big shop on 30th January with a top up on February 15th, why do we need to go again so soon?
Not an awful lot of snow here and the temperature did get up to about minus 3 from minus 8, plunged below minus 6 already. Next few days look very similar.
Great day for the central heating boiler to fail, found it dead when we got up this morning. Pleased to get it fixed about 4:30, feel a debate coming on when he presents his bill, he changed the oil pump that he had fitted on April 11th 2017.
Did a bit of gardening. Moved some of the sweet peas from the propagator to the greenhouse which made enough space to sow the hot and sweet peppers that had been pre-germinating in the airing cupboard.
Westi
KG Regular

Well the weather report turned out correct down here & it snowed proper with 'blizzards' - and with the subsequent chaos as expected. My bus stopped at midday but I managed to get a lift home, except it took 2hrs 10mins for what normally takes 10 minutes! 1hr was stuck in the queue inside the hospital as the offices nearby let their staff off early and we couldn't get out, then the other 1hr was driving at about 10 mph through the slush & sliding all around the place, but home safe & sound, even if bloody freezing - my toes are just thawing!

Not going in tomorrow so will be sorting the seeds into their months for sowing as they are currently in type. Looking forward to procrastinating about which particular variety I will choose to grow, not so much the cats assistance! :)
Westi
Monika
KG Regular

It's the N and NE wind which is giving us the most problem. There are patches with barely any snow and then you suddenly hit a deep drift and we can hear it howling down from the open moor immediately behind us. It's a few years since we had drifts like that!
Primrose
KG Regular

Was sitting by the window typing and wondering why I felt so cold, then realised what a howling gale was blowing through the small sliding ventilation slot above the double glazed window. Closing it made a huge difference to the room temperature. For however long this bitter wind lasts I,d rather be stuffy than frozen!

It’s going to be a bitterly cold night. Hope all my local birds can find some protection. This weather will doubtless have a severe toll on our wildlife.

OH, it my officially be the first day of Spring but I suspect your new thread will remain in the Pending File for a while yet!
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Primrose, indeed it will......but let's hope the old saying for March is right, "In like a Lion, out like a Lamb".

Diane
KG Regular

Saw my first Fieldfare in the garden yesterday.
Attachments
Fieldfare.jpg
Fieldfare.jpg (191.91 KiB) Viewed 4450 times
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Very late this year but, we do have about a dozen of them here now....they have missed all the wind fall apples though...

Primrose
KG Regular

We normally see a few passing through but haven't seen any this year. Maybe they've just moved on. All the berries on tress and shrubs have long since been stripped by the ravenous parakeets round here.
robo
KG Regular

We had one in our garden yesterday I thought it was a young mistle thrush until I saw Dianes picture
robo
KG Regular

As you probably tell I don't know a lot about birds but I am very interested probably because we're we live we had very few in till recently and the ones we did have visiting were all black through the muck thrown out of the hundreds of factory chimneys that used to be in our town
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

That's strange Robo, the word on the street is, you have quite a way with the Ladies..... :)

Locked Previous topicNext topic