Chase Organics

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

tigerburnie
KG Regular

I guess as tatties are quite a hungry crop you would have to feed the bags in order to get a decent crop, when I grew in grow bags a couple of years back I had 2 seeds in and the crop wasn't great.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Colin2016
KG Regular

"Something is not right there Colin would you put five sets in a one feet square planter sounds a bit tight"

That is what the suppliers are saying to do when they sell their growing sets...Are they be misleading?
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Geoff wrote:JBA are quite expensive by the time they are delivered and when I tried them a few years ago I was unimpressed by the quality.
I put my 10 First Earlies in a tunnel bed approximately 10'x4'. I've never understood this crowded bag growing and the limited yield per seed tuber that people seem to think is acceptable.

I thought the price to be reasonable, and certainly better than sealed bags in major garden centre chains.
I didn't check P & P but cant be any more than the cost of fuel used going somewhere that lets you choose individual potatoes at whatever quantity.

BTW Geoff, did you see Countryfile last night ???

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Geoff
KG Regular

Yes I did, not very far away, shows how old the recordings are, snow long gone. If GP's got themselves organised we could get rid of shooting as you have surely got to be a mental defective to think Pheasant shooting is either sport or conservation.
Monika
KG Regular

Growing our potatoes in pots, I use 14" pots (diameter and depth), filled with a mixture of peat-based potting compost, some JI No3 and some well-rotted cow manure, and plant them with three potatoes. When they are growing well, I also feed them with potato fertiliser. I have never weighed the result but the yield is certainly quite respectable and, most importantly, they tend to be entirely blemish-free, whereas the ones grown in the ground on the allotment tended to be slug-ravished!

Interestingly, we have a class in our village show in September for one potato grown in a 9" pot (I usually use the variety 'Rocket' for its big yield). The pots are emptied at the show and the yield weighed. I have entered it for several years and have been the winner quite often with between 1 3/4lb and 2 1/2 lb in the 9" pot from one seed potato. So one can get a decent result from little input!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic