Early Winter Bits and Bobs....

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Gerry
KG Regular

OH, Two dozen stamps, I suppose that was your mum's pension gone.

The cost of stamps here is ridiculous. €1 for mail within Ireland and €1.35 to UK.

You lot won't be getting any cards,from me this year .
Pa Snip
KG Regular

oldherbaceous wrote:Got my Mum's pension for her yesterday and asked the girl behind the counter for two dozen first class stamps....she didn't know how many that was....

That's gross

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Westi
KG Regular

Goodness OH?

It's a worry isn't it Did you advise her to consult her phone? :) :)
Westi
Primrose
KG Regular

Gosh I remember those thick yellow pea soupers. The grime went everywhere and left smuts all over your face. The sulphuric smell of them even permeated indoors, despite all the doors and windows being firmly closed.

And a more unpleasant aspect I remember as a child - all those nasty yellow gobs of spit on the pavements where people used to have to clear their throats, and the posters on buses and trains warning DO NOT SPIT- PENALTY OF £5. You couldn't hang your washing out on days like that. It would just come in covered with black and yellow streaky stains.
Last edited by Primrose on Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Geoff
KG Regular

Been Rolling Fog Mid 159 all day here but that's because I've moved inside to do my annual decorating stint! Mind it hasn't been much better outside most of the day. Wish I hadn't decided to swing a radiator off the wall to install foil behind it, joint leaked when I put it back which lost me the afternoon.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Looks glorious outside, until you stick your head out, still cold.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Colin2016
KG Regular

Spitting still seems to be the trend in lots of large towns/cities fortunately I have been able to move away from it, although watch a football match?
Last edited by Colin2016 on Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Primrose
KG Regular

oldherbaceous wrote:Got my Mum's pension for her yesterday and asked the girl behind the counter for two dozen first class stamps....she didn't know how many that was....

Well I never prided myself of my mathmatical ability but that really flags up what’s happening with our educational system !
I wonder if she knew what the difference was between First Class and Second Class !
tigerburnie
KG Regular

But we went metric decades ago, no surprise that the young don't know, why would they need to?
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
robo
KG Regular

I've spent the last two days at the hospital my wife had a fall down at the plot on Friday it was the second time she has been out since her operation as usual nobody about after a lot of trying and screaming on her part I managed to get her into the car,when we got home I struggled to get her indoors but managed it ,yesterday morning she was no better I did what I should have done on Friday I rang 999 three hours later the ambulance turned up loaded her up and away to the A and E after 2 hours in the corridor she was admitted to a side room the examined by the youngest looking doctor I've ever seen he said he did not think anything was broken but wanted an xray 2 hours later she was moved to another side room and a different doctor examined her with the same results, at 9 o'clock last night she was wheeled of for the xray
then we waited ,at 12-30 this morning we got told there is nothing broken but they wanted to keep her in for the night for observation , early this afternoon I went with the idea I would be bringing my wife home ,when I got to the ward I was told she had been moved when I asked why the nurse said they had found a small fracture so I followed instructions and went to the ward she had been sent too I asked the sister what part of the ward I might find her to be told she has broken her hip and they were going to operate this afternoon and my wife could not eat or drink anything , at 4 o'clock this afternoon the registrar came and said they could not operate as my wife had been given a piece of toast this morning so they will operate tomorrow but I have to meet the consultant at 8 am to discus what they think is best a part or full hip replacement ,God knows what tomorrow will bring. As the old joke says that black dog with the white collar I run over a couple of years ago on that dark night must have been a nun
Primrose
KG Regular

Oh Robo what a trial you are both having! You could both have done without all this stress, especially in the run up to Christmas and after all your previous tribulations.
You must be stressed out and totally exhausted. Hope you can get a few hours quality sleep and that your wife gets the correct surgery tomorrow. I’m sure all “the regulars” on here will be thinking of you both.
Go to bed! Get some rest! . “Sufficient unto the day” as they say.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

tigerburnie wrote:But we went metric decades ago, no surprise that the young don't know, why would they need to?

Well not quite, in yet another example of dithering this country did not commit fully to going metric. In monetary matters we did but in the case of measurement we attempted to adopt neither one thing or the other.

Hence today when driving in the UK you will see some bridges with imperial headroom only, although they should be dual marked, and some with metric headroom only .

It's no wonder we get bridge strikes. Foreign drivers may not be able to convert imperial to accurate imperial whilst driving up to, and approaching, a bridge despite the fact they should have signs in the cab telling them their vehicles maximum height.

BTW Mines a pint ta.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Morning Robo, you must wake up each morning and think, what have i got to deal with today.....
Keep them positive thoughts going and you will get there....let's hope your wife is up and about ready for Christmas.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Robo

Thoughts are with you and yours.

Diane
KG Regular

What a terrible thing to have happened - I do hope your wife is soon taken care of and that you have managed to get some sleep. What an ordeal for you both. Sending you virtual hugs (((xx)))
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic