Early Winter Bits and Bobs....

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Westi
KG Regular

Monika! That did make me chuckle that you crawled to the Village Hall - was the meeting worth the effort?

Your plot sounds like it is ship shape - would love to see some pics. Maybe as KG has upped the photo content we could do a plot through the seasons topic with pics - absolutely raw & weed filled or pristine (maybe) after! OH - maybe start it off from January? An honest year in the plot warts & all will show whatever your experience it is daunting at times but we all go through it? You should see my bindweed pile from that little bit of the herb bed I dug - monster thing, went under the path & infested another bed!
Westi
MirandaW
KG Regular

Well, my winter is not too bad, I am in Spain at the moment :)
Monika
KG Regular

My crawling was certainly worth it, Westi. I was going to a very active exercise class which I have been attending every week for almost 20 years - wouldn't miss it for the world.

Dark, misty and drizzly here today and likely to remain so, typical English winter weather I suppose.
robo
KG Regular

The only crawling I will be doing is crawling home from our eldest daughters Christmas night or boxing day morning
Westi
KG Regular

Welcome MirandaW!

Lucky you! Please keep posting & keep us up to date with your challenges now - will probably match our summer! :)
Westi
MirandaW
KG Regular

Thank you Westi ! :D :D :D
Diane
KG Regular

Hi Miranda - Lovely place to be in at Christmas. Do you live there? Or just visiting? It's damp, drizzly and murky here - so I'd rather be where you are.
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
tigerburnie
KG Regular

I actually like the seasons and whilst I have holidayed in warmer climes in winter, I now head for the hills and the snow instead.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I too love the seasons and wouldn't have it any different.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
MirandaW
KG Regular

Diane wrote:Hi Miranda - Lovely place to be in at Christmas. Do you live there? Or just visiting? It's damp, drizzly and murky here - so I'd rather be where you are.

I have visited Spain few times and... have met someone here, so now I moved :D For now I am very happy here :D
Diane
KG Regular

Wonderful - Have a lovely Christmas.
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
Westi
KG Regular

Well then MirandaW this is the place to be if you live here now! The first words that come are challenging & hard, but the other words are I won - took me awhile to achieve some of my personal challenges but never give up - this is a land that when it decides to give you good weather you will have brilliant crops, but amazing thing is it waters itself! (Mostly anyway)! :)

Watch now that I said that it will be a hot dry summer! :)
Westi
MirandaW
KG Regular

:D :D Thanks! And Merry Christmas to you all :D
Pa Snip
KG Regular

CHRISTMAS EVE. 2017

District Nurse due 9am Christmas Eve to clean & flush picc line and change dressing. (why have they changed from District Nurses ? District / Community much the same thing, just a way of spending money on a rebrand)

EDIT TO ABOVE
Both exist, not a case of rebranding, I am told district nurses have to achieve better qualifications in order to be called a district nurse.
My picc line has to be dealt with by a district nurse

Anyway, once nurse has been I need to get up the plot. Sprouts, Swede & Parsnips all to be harvested for dinner tomorrow hopefully.

Then I still have Christmas gifts to source.

Looks like its spitting rain out there, hope it holds off until I've been to plot
Last edited by Pa Snip on Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Primrose
KG Regular

Gosh Pa, you're leaving it a bit late to buy your prezzies. Hope the early birds didn't catch all the worms you have your eye on!

Never had much success in growing sprouts so have bought some on a stalk this year but makes me cross when they cut the top greenery off as I think the Brussels tops are actually as nice as the sprouts and such a shame when they're wasted.
Had some kohl rabi yesterday and their green tops, although somewhat sparse, were delicious.

As an aside on vegetables, it does rather amuse me to see all these "poncy" vegetable recipes in cookery articles, to be served on Christmas Day. I've seen a nice recipe for sprouts, chestnuts, with an orange zest glazed sauce with hazlenuts sprinkled over but I wonder how many cooks are actually going to be faffing around with that when they're juggling with all the other stuff they have to deal with getting the Christmas lunch served on time. For many, just getting it onto the table at all, if you're entertaining a large family group, is an achievement in itself!

Happy Christmas All !

I
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic