Early Winter Bits and Bobs....

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Geoff
KG Regular

Raining here.
robo
KG Regular

We used to have a holiday chalet outside of Caernarfon going up into Snowdonia ,every year we would go to it on boxing day until one or two days after new years day ,ice on the inside of the Windows was the norm the last time we spent Christmas there was about ten years ago it never got above -9 for four days there was not a breath of wind all week the sea had a layer of ice cold mist hanging above it were I guess the warmer sea water was raising the temperature it was strange to say the least
peter
KG Regular

Did Rover venture round from Port Meirion?
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
robo
KG Regular

I've been to port meirion a few times but I've never seen rover in fact last time we were there it was very hard to come away I felt like a prisoner
peter
KG Regular

peter wrote:Don't worry about the recent odd posts, I am a bit busy at work lately and haven't been able to memorise everyone's posts so didn't spot the similarity in wording. I had put the user name against my grammatical expectation scale and cut some slack. There is nothing in the posts to attract a ban or a block.
However if links or signatures with links or websites appear the posts and the user who posted them will abruptly vanish forever.

There are still some posts by new users attempting to advertise gardening services in Australia or selling sites in America. You don't get to even see them as new users posts are moderated, and if they are patient and behave I can delete them and all their posts with one single action. :lol: :twisted: :shock:

Despite a warning Israfilhaque1230 continued to copy people's old posts, change words a bit and then repost them as their own contribution.
They have now been deleted and any subsequent similar pattern of behaviour by a new iser will earn a rapid deletion.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Despite a warning Israfilhaque1230 continued to copy people's old posts, change words a bit and then repost them as their own contribution.
They have now been deleted and any subsequent similar pattern of behaviour by a new iser will earn a rapid deletion

Thank you Peter, a most infuriating poster the type of which I'm sure puts people off.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Primrose
KG Regular

Incident reminds me of a time when was trying to learn Russian and sent a food parcel to new acquaintances in Moscow at a time when food was in short supply and people had to queue for everything. I sent some (unknown to them) triple -coloured pasta and with the aid of a dictionary haltingly tried to explain they should boil it for 12minutes.
They were grateful, intrigued but almost hysterical with laughter as my translation came out as “Put on your carbuncle for 12minutes”. They had no idea what to do with the Marmite either! They couldn,t believe people actually ATE it and thought it wa some form of engine grease ! Beware of dictionary type translations !
robo
KG Regular

Bloody bell primrose sending marmite to Russians lucky you did not start world war 3
Westi
KG Regular

Thanks Peter. I can understand someone writing something in another language offering advise from their experience to help us & then translating & it looking a bit weird, but little to be gained from cutting & pasting.

Of to lottie tomorrow with a great big to do list, actually probably not helpful not being able to get down last weekend due to the weather as I'm pretty sure the list will never be completed, but I will make a start - until I accidentally burn it! ;)
Westi
Westi
KG Regular

Well off I went full of optimism, crispy but sun trying to shine! (Oops! I forgot the list), however my little summer compost pile on lottie 2 looked pretty good when I uncovered it & as I had some naked beds on that side waiting to be covered I thought why not? Covered 3 beds with that wee lot!

Then in a decisive moment thought OK - dig up the herb bed which is ugly & not covering my needs as thugs taken over. 4 hours later I'd cleared just a bit about 4' x 2' - Russian tarragon & lemon balm - could have done with some TNT! Then it rained - yep I was wet & cold and digging had to stop! Brilliant as my back was suffering!

I'm definitely going to plant my herbs in pots in the future & these 2 are never going to be appearing! Just the oregano, chives, sage & bronze fennel to tackle in that bed - their future is dependent on their success & root growth as well! Thought herbs were hard to grow without perfect conditions??
Westi
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

You got on well Westi.....I must admit, i haven't done a thing on my allotments for nearly a month now, apart from harvesting different things. I'm hoping to start digging proper, after Christmas.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
robo
KG Regular

All I've done for the last six months is feed the chickens ,I've managed to do bits but not much most of our veg has suffered for lack of tending I didn't thin the parsnips now I have loads but tiny I've not given any feed to the sprouts but they are slowly swelling up the strange thing is there is not a lot of weeds on our plot it looks neat
Colin2016
KG Regular

Had a good few hours Saturday which allowed me to restock the bird feeders, clear around the gate, plant the comfrey (wondering now if I should have put in pots in greenhouse) & get the wooden border around the strawberry patch.

Was hoping for another good session Sunday to clear the dead stuff around the strawberry’s all going well until the rains came.

Once packed up realised how cold it was.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

On about cold, it was the Church Christmas Carol Service yesterday and everyone was saying how cold they were....only made worse by me having my sleeves rolled up...the others were wrapped up in thick coats, hats, furry boots and gloves.... :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Monika
KG Regular

Can't complain about the weather, it's been mainly dry and sunny here for the last few days except for dense fog a couple of days ago. But we have had some vicious black ice. Last Thursday, when walking up to our Village Hall, I ended up crawling on all fours across a large open space which was completely impassable on two feet. There was nobody about and I didn't really care.....
We have had all the family gatherings for Christmas or they are still to come in the new year, so I am hoping for a continuing good dry spell to spread the last of the manure on the allotment. Everything is dug and as shipshape as it can be this time of the year.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic