Something from nothing!

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Westi
KG Regular

I posted on here about growing stuff from the left over bits when we prep our veg, that I found on some internet sites. I've had great success from bought spring onion roots, just shoved in a pot by the back door & grow quicker & bigger than the ones I'm waiting to mature on the plot that have been in for months now!

I also planted a celery root end in the back garden in spring. Actually it was headed for the compost bin when I thought lets try it. It's been under the sweetcorn which has supported some vines so pretty much hidden until I cleared the bed. But I have grown celery - bigger, clearer of slimy things & not stringy like the rubbish I have previously grown! Probably that variety not available to home growers - but I have celery! OK not great compared to supermarket stuff, but loads better than anything else I've ever grown!
IMG_1900.JPG
IMG_1900.JPG (2.51 MiB) Viewed 5750 times
Westi
Westi
KG Regular

Sorry for the neck ache, so long since I posted a pic I forgot to review & rotate it! Oops!
Westi
Colin2016
KG Regular

Slightly of topic but something for nothing. I have mushrooms growing in the greenhouse. Due to using mushroom compost. Had 2 meals worth so far.
lez
KG Regular

Hi Ya Colin, I have heard of a lot of people who grow shop bought tomatoes etc, I am interested in your spring onion trial, How did you do it? did you leaves a certain amount of white base with the root? how many did you try? did they taste ok? and do you have any phots? also what sites did you visit? I fancy having a play as well. Any helpful info would be most appreciated.
Primrose
KG Regular

often in the autumn when I clear my patio containers of summer bedding plants I did in various batches of vegetable peelings to rot down in them over winter to improve the compost. These include potato peelings and often by the following summer I find I have marble sized potatoes growing. Have never experimented to see how big they grow because it's not a convenient location but I do wonder if I would end up some decent sized potatoes. I have found occasionally found potatoes growing from peelings thrown on the compost heap.
Diane
KG Regular

I've just found a self seeded garlic bulb growing out of 2 inches of gravel, laid over the top of membrane,tucked away up against a gap of 3 inches between the wall and a cold frame. These veg plants are tough little blighters.
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
Westi
KG Regular

Hi Lez!
Just the root and about 1/2" of the white at the bottom of the stem. I've had success with both totally covered or with the white bit sticking out. They take off really quickly but I've found some varieties just shot up the top green leave bit & others push up with the tight stem bit as well so I assume that depends on the variety but they don't tend to share the type on spring onions bunches. Anyway none are wasted! I found a lot on different things to regrow (not all successfully) on the gardening threads on Pinterest.
IMG_1905.JPG
IMG_1905.JPG (2.33 MiB) Viewed 5700 times

These have been in about 3 weeks and are just shoved in the dwarf peach trees pot that I moved closer to the house for winter. The roots in the pic are from previous ones I've taken. Here's hoping I rotated this the right way! :)
Westi
Colin2016
KG Regular

Hi Lez

Hi this is link to original post which will answer most of your questions.
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=13930

As you can see I got 2 good ones out of 9. They tasted ok as shop brought spring onions.

As for sites I used you tube. Would I do it again yes thinking in the green house this time as last time was on windowsill in north facing bedrrom.
lez
KG Regular

Hi Colin, thanks for the information. I will be having a go myself and looking at the web site. It seems to be a bit hit and miss but that will make it all the more interesting. Good luck with your exploits.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic