On the 11th hour of the 11th Day of the 11th Month

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Pa Snip
KG Regular

Poppy Field Tower.jpg
Poppy Field Tower.jpg (288.91 KiB) Viewed 2348 times

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

We shall indeed, we shall indeed!
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Shallot Man
KG Regular

Remembering all who gave their lives for our Country.
John
KG Regular

"LET THOSE WHO COME AFTER SEE TO IT THAT THEIR NAMES ARE NOT FORGOTTEN"

John
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
robo
KG Regular

I always think of one of my grandfather's when I see poppies he was gased in the great war but I never could understand what was great about it he did survive but was a dithering wreck for the rest of his life ,I don't mean that as an insult it just how he was he shook and coughed all the time
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Late 50's / early 60's morning assembly, the one hymn guaranteed to get me singing the best I could was what is
known as 'The Navy Hymn' 'Eternal Father Strong to Save'. Also known as 'For Those in Peril on the Sea'

The reason was that I would always think of my fathers brother, my would have been Uncle.
A teenager serving in WW11 on HMS Verdun who was lost overboard late one February night in 1944

I was born four years later and christened with his name as my middle name and although he was hardly ever mentioned in the family I have always felt a connection.
Because he was lost somewhere in the north sea there was no physical resting place for him that my father or his other brothers or sisters could visit.

It was not until they had all passed on that just a few years back I found his name is commemorated by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission on the Chatham Naval Memorial, Alongside 18,500 other naval personal lost at sea.

Eternal Father, strong to save,
Whose arm hath bound the restless wave,
Who bidd'st the mighty ocean deep
Its own appointed limits keep;
Oh, hear us when we cry to Thee,
For those in peril on the sea!
Last edited by Pa Snip on Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Primrose
KG Regular

Attendance at our village War Memorial ceremony tomorrow is always a “must” in our calendar. As a wartime child I’m very conscious that the last of the generation who had to fight in WW2 or had to endure its hardships are now passing away. We owe it to them all not to forget their sacrifices.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic