Unsolicited mail

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Westi
KG Regular

I find my green bin excellent value as have some plants and trees whose leaves and flowers can not go onto the compost as they never break down and I'm as yet to be interested enough to weave mats and things out of them. I haven't the room to burn prunings so they are kindly taken away each fortnight as well.

It was a godsend this year with one compost bin out of use due to the huge rouge pumpkin & the other nearly full & with a bees nest in there for a month or so as well. Lottie stuff is fine - I can do a burn each winter down there & that also helps get rid of some of the other home stuff that is a bit big for the green bin.

I like the idea of the recycling redemption scheme Pa, not got that down here yet.
Westi
Monika
KG Regular

We have three wheeliebins: one for general rubbish (usually pretty empty in our case) collected every fortnight, one for paper, cardboard, glass and plastic, collected every fortnight, and one for garden rubbish (costs about £40 a year), collected every fortnight from March to end of November and once a month in winter. We can't complain.

Anything in the garden or allotment which would break down easily and, of course, vegetable scraps go into one of our four compost bins at home or the large compost heap on the allotment.
John
KG Regular

Pity the poor posties that have to deliver all this rubbish.
John
The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men’s lives, the hours spent fishing Assyrian tablet
What we observe is not nature itself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning Werner Heisenberg
I am a man and the world is my urinal
tigerburnie
KG Regular

To be honest these days we often only get junk mail, if it were not for the junk our village posties job could be under threat. I can't remember the last time I wrote a letter, always use email and the better half is on facebook or such like. Must buy some ink for the Parker pen I found in a box in the loft and write to someone.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I try to write letters to friends I don't see very often as I know how much more I appreciate receiving post from them than the instant message binged over the internet. It's nice to be able to hold an actual thing rather than look at a screen.

As for all the adverts you don't have to read them and they're easy enough to recycle - after extracting pens etc. I must admit that I have an interest in supporting Royal Mail as an ex employee it pays my pension. Also a lot of Royal Mail's competitors use it for the final part of the delivery to every address in the country as they only go to the main towns which are more profitable. Anyway even if it's junk it is still nice to get the post and it is a good way for local businesses to tell us about things. I know I always have a look what's been delivered when I come home.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

My Mum still writes to a huge amount of friends, I hate to think what she spends on stamps in a year.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Monika
KG Regular

I still write lots of letters because, alas, many friends of my age have no computer and as I am never likely to see them again, we do still correspond. And I enjoy receiving their letters, too!
Shallot Man
KG Regular

I now send email cards. Money saved on postage & cards, donation made to "Help for Heroes"
Colin2016
KG Regular

Interesting to hear the different schemes for bin collection.

Before I got involve with own growing, the brown bin (garden stuff) was always full up before collection.

Now I’m into composting it hardly gets used.

Fully agree about junk mail keeping the postman in work.
Wonder how long they will have a job though as more companies stop using mail & opt for email instead. Some examples BT, TV licence, car insurance, government agencies I have heard that the next census will be online not paper (except those few that do not have internet).
Last edited by Colin2016 on Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I get fed up with all the "begging letters" I receive.... :)

Pa Snip
KG Regular

oldherbaceous wrote:I get fed up with all the "begging letters" I receive.... :)

I'll do a deal with you then, send me either cash or cheque instead of the IOU's you keep sending for me to sign, and then I'll stop sending the begging notes.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

You do make me smile, PA Snip.... :)

robo
KG Regular

I've just received an email saying I've won £25000 on the euro millions funny thing is I don't do the euro millions I bet the next email asks for my bank details
Shallot Man
KG Regular

Could send the the Chancellors. :wink:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic