What is it?

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Westi
KG Regular

In Decembers magazine (Yep the one with the famous marrow grower on the last page) there is a free calendar. On the last page of the calendar with the whole year on it there is a pic with some asian and other veg. What are the things in the top wooden bowl? Brownish with the zig zag pattern - pretty but what is it???
Westi
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I was wodering the same Westi about two of the photos. Perhaps they've done it so we have to look through their catalogue to try to identify them.
Geoff
KG Regular

Well I've Googled a lot and not come up with anything. I've tried Caribbean and Asian fruit and vegetables and not found them or the two red bean looking things. To go with the pepper, chillis and lemon grass I'm thinking spice but I haven't found a match for that either. I'm guessing this photo is not related to the Kings Seeds promotion. I think 'Ask the Team', might get an answer before the calendar runs out.

PS : I've emailed Kings Seeds.
Westi
KG Regular

I hope you get a reply Geoff, I found nothing on google as well. It's deceiving having a lettuce in there unless it is a new type of Chinese type cabbage and not as soft as it looks. Bean type things in spoon on bottom left is unusual as well as looks a bit cone shaped & the two wee seed pod like things in the bowl of red & black beans also needs explaining.

Help KG Team! They seem to have disappeared again!
Westi
Geoff
KG Regular

Kings Seeds don't know the answer, they supplied some photographs but not that one. They are intrigued as well so are going to contact the editor. I've sent a pm to KG Emma (but it hasn't been picked up).
KG Steve
KG Editor

Hi Chaps - sorry your KG editorial team were out this morning making videos for the January digital edition of the magazine and I've just caught up with your enquiry.

The fruits above the carrots are rattan fruits. Unfortunately I can't tell you what the red peas/beans are in the other dish or spoon. The picture was sourced from a library - just something we thought looked attractive at the time - and the photographer has obviously used a mixture of exotic and more familiar crops. Perhaps since this is the world-wide web, someone reading this will be more familiar with some of the elements and can fill us in on what the unknown ones are. Sorry I can't give you a better answer on this occasion, but I'll keep Googling and if I find out I'll let you know.
Steve Ott
Kitchen Garden Editor
Geoff
KG Regular

Thanks - and to Emma for the pm.
Westi
KG Regular

Thanks Steve!

Trust us to focus on the details hey? I was admiring the carrots without any damage and then noted them & thought they were attractive. Got a few Thai friends so they might identify the other stuff as well. Don't expect any of us will be growing rattan in the UK climate, but the bean seeds might be something that could survive - that's if they are even bean seeds of course & they taste nice! Cheers again! x
Westi
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I've eaten the rattan fruit in Thailand. They called it snake fruit because of the scales. It was OK but not wonderful and would be unlikely to grow here.

Good example of photographer using photo library and choosing some thing exotic instead of appropriate to this country.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Don't blame the photographer.
The picture was probably chosen from the photo library to be part of the calendar by a advertising agency or the marketing department of Kings Seeds.
In whichever case all the photographs would (or should) have been approved by Kings before use.

I do like the Kings Seed catalogue, the format makes it a bit awkward to handle but the sowing, planting and harvesting graphic information is really good.

Mrs S definitely is going to place an order, as will I. Just not for Ratten Fruits !!

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Geoff
KG Regular

We did supply some pictures but not this one.

I had this from Kings Seeds, who were very helpful.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Thanks to KG and Kings seeds for a lovely calendar it's definitely going on my wall and will be very useful even if the artistic designer has slipped some mystery items in - they look pretty and have proved a talking point.
KG Steve
KG Editor

Thanks Plumpudding - much appreciated! Well of course - we only chose the picture to get you guys talking!
Steve Ott
Kitchen Garden Editor
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic