Decision made!

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

tigerburnie
KG Regular

If 6x6 is your maximum size allowed, you could make one using the blue water pipe, my mini tunnel is then cable tied with canes, so relatively cheaper, nothing to rust and I dismantle mine each winter and re-build with different canes in the spring, so nothing to get damaged or rotten in the winter.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Westi
KG Regular

I'm going for it! Don't know if reviews are real or not but they are pretty positive and the pictures show there are many ways of securing them by the looks. No instructions on the web site, but reviews show the netting buried, some secured on sleepers, some with bricks around the edges that looks neat & tidy which is the method I'd use with black weed membrane around the edges otherwise I could see weeds growing through even that fine netting & that would annoy me no end digging that out at moving time next year.

Will let you know the results......they are currently closed until 11th Nov so still time for someone to tell me I am a rubbish decision maker! Well I am going to e-mail them first for guarantee period which is also not mentioned.
Westi
Colin2016
KG Regular

Guess its how many sleeps till Christmas for you, bet you cant wait, hope all goes well for you Westi.
Geoff
KG Regular

Wrapping it up will be a challenge for someone.
robo
KG Regular

Will it fit down your chimney
Westi
KG Regular

Ha Geoff - putting it up will be a bigger challenge I expect. I've roped in Mr Westi & some of his work mates. (Mr Westi only in a supervisory capacity as he intends to ring the company with his 101 questions so that will make him an expert)! :)

I could be nice and provide tea & biscuits but I've seen them in action, finished result is always good, but banter & debate to get there is not for sensitive ears! I think I may be shopping! :) :)
Westi
Colin2016
KG Regular

Did Santa bring it Westi?
Westi
KG Regular

Hi Colin!

I haven't actually got it but it is an assured Xmas present when I decide the size & where it is going to go. It's hard deciding due to the brassica rotation and the onion sets being in - & my measuring for my central path when I took on the allotment was not too clever either as one side is narrower and it would be 1/2 on the path. Just a small obstacle easily rectified but time consuming & added to an extremely long list of things to do!
Westi
rowbow
KG Regular

I was given a10'x12' cedar greenhouse with concrete plinth and toughened glass, I didn't want a glass house because it would be time-consuming, so I tacked good quality butterfly netting on all of the sections before erection, the shelving was fixed all around the eaves
it's a very expensive cage, the local tip was going to charge me to tip the glass, so that went in the black bin. :D I could have glazed
half and fixed a partition. :mrgreen:
Colin2016
KG Regular

Westi, don’t think it would be good time to erect it at the moment as very windy here which I assume is same where you are.

Rowbow "the local tip was going to charge me to tip the glass, so that went in the black bin" all lands up in same place without the extra cost out of your pocket.
Westi
KG Regular

Hi Colin!
It's is a wee way off yet! Too much to do just clearing & stuff due to the wonderful weather limiting the visits to the plot. Think I have a site though but have to dig a fair few migrating raspberries first. Hope they don't put the price up while I procrastinate & work my butt off!
Westi
Colin2016
KG Regular

Wonder if the wonderwall turned out a good investment.
I have opportunity to add to my plot which would suite a wonderwall, so looking into them.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Shallot Man
KG Regular

tigerburnie wrote:If 6x6 is your maximum size allowed, you could make one using the blue water pipe, my mini tunnel is then cable tied with canes, so relatively cheaper, nothing to rust and I dismantle mine each winter and re-build with different canes in the spring, so nothing to get damaged or rotten in the winter.

For extra stability. Fill the water pipe with dry sand and blank off. :wink:
tigerburnie
KG Regular

I've just dismantled my mini tunnel before the root wrestling saga.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Westi
KG Regular

It has one serious flaw! There are these round clips you pop the tubes in, one end is screwed into a mount on the other tube & the other end is a 'C' that clips the other tube in. The screw that holds the mount part in is too small & it works it self out when the tunnel sways a bit in the wind. When replacing the screw bit (after wrestling the tube off the 'C' bit) I pop a blob of glue over the flat edge to stop it working out, but loose the screw & it is creative DIY! (Your guys could potentially drill into the actual pole to put a longer screw in though). But they aren't that cheap for this mucking around!

On the positive it is still standing & the netting is strong & fine mesh. I will keep it for as long as I can be creative, but my advice is to buy a proper poly tunnel frame & net that it you want, which I will do next as I do think the netting is a good quality and we treated the timber supports & stakes so they should be able to be re-used. I have pristine brassicas and the temperature in there is slightly higher & the wind dramatically reduced & as I can't get down as much as needed a poly tunnel is not an option.
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic