Postage & Packing aka Delivery Charges

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Primrose
KG Regular

Annoyingly, having just ordered more elephant garlic and paid up the postage because I thought many of mine hadn't germinated, I see that many of the stragglers have decided to poke their noses through the soil. I think these were ones given me by a friend so possibly may have been a little later in the development process
Shallot Man
KG Regular

I only grow garlic for my daughter. This year planted a row from last years stock. And a row from the local supermarket. Three large cloves for 70p. Both rows at the moment the same height, some 3inches. See what happens. :| :|
Tony Hague
KG Regular

Goodness, you lot are in a rush. My garlic only went in last Sunday, and that I consider early, normally I'd go for early November. I thought the aim was to get some root development, but avoiding too much top growth which might suffer from winter winds. It must be early enough, because some of last year's garlic is so big it won't go into one of those terracotta garlic cellars we have in the kitchen.
Monika
KG Regular

Coming back to the postage charges, I don't think they are too bad, considering they have gone up overall in recent years. We send several magazines to family living abroad and the postage is generally more than the cost of the magazines, usually £5.15 for each magazine within Europe! So, around £5 for packets of garlic, onion sets as well as seeds etc doesn't sound excessive.
Shallot Man
KG Regular

Monika. Wouldn't it be cheaper to take out a subscription for them.
Monika
KG Regular

We have thought of that, Shallot Man, but then we wouldn't be able to read them first!!!
Shallot Man
KG Regular

Monika wrote:We have thought of that, Shallot Man, but then we wouldn't be able to read them first!!!

You could get them to send them to you. :wink: :wink:
Primrose
KG Regular

Have you checked out your local library? Ours takes all kinds of magazines from local residents once they've finished reading them and sells them for about 20p a copy - thus recycling them and raising a few quid to purchase extra books or other needed equipment.
robo
KG Regular

Most of our local library's have been closed down even the main one in town is closed for modernisation
Diane
KG Regular

Thank you for the link. :D
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
Monika
KG Regular

We are gluttons for magazines, all on particular subjects like yachting, gardening, birdwatching, farm machinery, astronomy etc and they are all passed on to friends, family, the village library and local sheltered housing complex. None end up in the recycling bin, at least not by us. We don't mind paying for the magazines, it's just the postage for the ones we send abroad, mainly to family and friends in France, that has become so costly since they abolished the "Printed Paper" rate.
In case you all think 'how extravagant': we never go on holiday and we don't have a TV, so reading and listening to music are two of our most expensive indoor hobbies. My OH does a lot of drawing and I knit, mainly for charity. That's us done.
Geoff
KG Regular

Premier Seeds Direct are still offering 15% discount on eBay, ordered another 24 packets today for £20.62 delivered.
Geoff
KG Regular

Don't forget lots of DT Brown a £1 today - includes De Monica Broad Beans.
Westi
KG Regular

I've been tempted indeed, but think I have enough seeds (maybe)! I went through the bag of seeds & threw out the well out of date ones & that with the lottie shop order just leaves me with everything I need! I really can't believe my self control - so unlike me not to buy & buy, but I'm sure after Xmas when the £ shop stocks up I will transgress! :)
Westi
Geoff
KG Regular

Free P&P might be useful if you haven't got potatoes yet.

http://www.dtbrownseeds.co.uk/?utm_sour ... nQ_Iahl-70
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic