Mid Autumn Bits and Bobs 2017.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Very strange, as I wrote a reply to Pa Snip yesterday....maybe I forgot to send it... :?

Anyway, regarding the watering Pa Snip, it's not actually the distance that is the important thing, (I think this is where people are going wrong), it is just down to watering the plants left handed. :wink: :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Geoff
KG Regular

What variety do you grow for this time of year? I don't grow any for the Autumn but they are cheap and good quality in the shops at the moment so it must be a good time. We are getting great sprouts but I wonder if they are going to last the Winter as all my three varieties are coming together.
Isn't it the colour of the water makes the difference?
Pa Snip
KG Regular

OH, no message received from you yesterday. last one was Nov 6th.
Perhaps you washed it away.

Geoff
Your reply regarding water colour made me go pail (sic), it is of course quite correct.
However, collecting water to grow cauliflowers with good heads and colour at this time of year does mean taking up whitewater rafting

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
robo
KG Regular

O.h. could it be your left hand is closer to god
Primrose
KG Regular

Well it will be when he’s up th church tower winding the church clock ! :D
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

The variety is Belot F1, a lovely Cauliflower but, it doesn't like a hard frosts....

I do like a good laugh.... :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Diane
KG Regular

Reading the posts about privet hedges - years ago we had stick insects as pets (yes, I know...boring!). However all they would eat was privet..and I had to regularly ask the neighbours round and about if it was ok to "tidy up" their hedges so the stick insects wouldn't starve. That lasted about 2 years and I got so tired of trudging round the estate picking off little twigs of privet that I gave the bloomin' things to a school to study. They multiplied at an alarming rate and used to regularly escape and be found happily crawling up the walls and investigating the insides of our slippers, etc.

I then moved on to guinea pigs which were much more interesting. :)
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
Primrose
KG Regular

Diane. You have mirrored my childhood experiences with stick insects I wanted more interesting pets which my mother couldn’t cope with feeding during wartime rationing years so we compromised with a batch of stick insects obtained via the junior school nature study class. My dad rigged up a suitable container for them with the compulsory jam jar of privet sticks which I gathered from next door’s hedge.
One day I inevitably let some of them escape and we found them all over the house. Their fate was sealed when my mother found one of them lurking on the handle of the “pull” chain lavatory flush. She rapidly deposited the remainder of them on next door’s Privet hedge where , as it was summer, I imagine they survived and partially ravished until colder weather came and they all died off.

My next pet was a yellow fluffy chick obtained from the local rag and bone man. It turned into a fiersome black cockerel who had the run of the garden,terrifying everybody until my mother, who was forced to hang out the washing with the protection of a broomstick, told a local lad his mum could have it for the Sunday roast pot if she would send somebody over to catch it.

I felt sorry for my mum. I was a trial to her where animals were concerned. I’d better not mention the white mice I obtained by swapping them for some of my brother’s marbles . I kept them secretly under my bed in a box until they too escaped and caused domestic mayhem.
Last edited by Primrose on Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

You're bringing back memories. We had an enormous nasty Cockerel called Butch when I was about 2. He was as big as me and often attacked and pecked me. I can remember the satisfaction of eating him for dinner when Dad secretly told me it was Butch on the plate.

We also had a little gang of guinea pigs that played in the hen run on nice days. I loved their squeaky calls to one another and watching them waddlng round. They are much nicer children's pets than rabbits which bite and scratch.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Have you noticed all the varieties of plants still flowering in the garden and in the wild? I counted 39 species that all had a few flowers on when I had a stroll round the garden this morning. The frost has finished most of the nasturtiums off but I was surprised what was still flowering.
Diane
KG Regular

Yes, whilst tidying up the garden this afternoon, I could hear bees buzzing..so I've left quite a few flowering bits and pieces for them.
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
peter
KG Regular

No gardening by me I'm afraid.
Nearest thing this weekend was that i got to allotment Shop a bit early this morning and consolidated the Tipland compost into the main shed from the insulated & heated one we put the seed potatoes in when they're delivered. Twenty bags shifted, twenty seven in total, looks like a new pallet full will need to come with the potatoes. Best part of a full pallet of Humax to move still before the potato delivery.

Saturday I went pallet scrumping, got fourteen from the bin area at my rugby club. Seven normal and seven half size with three rails and an OSB tray with 1"×1" guides screwed on top. A double sized one from my other source, they have a help yourself sign up. Three six foot laminated rails and five four foot laminated rails, the two 4'×4' sheets of plywood were just too big to get in my car.

When I was offloading I noticed my neighbour Doug doing the ground work for his extension, demolishing his garage with a hired mini digger and breaking up what proved to be two floors, one on a six inch bed of sand on top of the original. Asked what was happening to the wood I was told to help myself as he was going to take it to his yard and burn it. Seven reusable joists and other structural timber, plus two very strong Doug made doors. Some is firewood, some is going to be a shed extension.
One large bottle of raspberry vodka seemed to be an appropriate thanks.

Spent this afternoon denailing, removing screws and deciding what was reusable. :D
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Primrose
KG Regular

More raking of leaves here. Simply putting them as a light mulch on freshly forked over borders . Will let them rot down and let the worms do the work over winter. Lawn still growing quite quickly.. Will need another cut soon. Mower has never had much of a winter rest in recent years.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

It looked like a splendid day out of the window as I lay in my bed.
Boring subject once again I'm afraid, sorry folks.

Would have loved to have got out and done something useful, had to wait in for the district nurse this morning to remove chemo bottle.

Renewed course started last week since last one finished in Oct 2015. This one is every 3 weeks, have to wait and see how long for.

Parsnips, Swedes and Brussel Sprouts waiting to be harvested, sprouts will blow otherwise.

Given up on Leeks this year, what the leaf miner didn't get the fox flattened by laying on

Hopefully I'll feel better over next few days and get something positive done before next :mrgreen: chemo session.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
robo
KG Regular

Hope you are up and about shortly pasnip
Locked Previous topicNext topic