Strange sky this afternoon

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Primrose
KG Regular

Did anybody else get the very bizarre almost yellow and dark grey sky we had for a period this afternoon with a really red sun trying to break theiugh the haze? Gather it’s a result of the Irish hurricane winds. I noticed for a time that all the birds fell silent and disappeared from the garde. It was rather like the total eclipse of a few years ago.
robo
KG Regular

Just the usual mucky grey here
Pa Snip
KG Regular

It's Sahara sand causing the tinted glow apparently.

I'll see what my pictures came out like

Nice warm morning here, T shirt on plot job. Stronger winds picked up this afternoon.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Pa Snip
KG Regular

DSC_753198.jpg
DSC_753198.jpg (28.06 KiB) Viewed 4509 times

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Pa Snip
KG Regular

flaming heck sun is now so bright its blinding to even look in its direction (5pm)

Primrose
KG Regular

Yes it’s certainly been a very strange day of sky contrasts and temperatures. I went out shopping this morning without a jacket but the wind is getting up now and certainly has a chill to it.
Was thinking that this is one of the strange joys of retirement. When you're stuck in an office working indoors you never have an opportunity to notice the ever changing facets of nature.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

No sign of any sun of any colour up here
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
jeff64
KG Regular

went down the allotment around lunch time, it was really quiet with a yellow/grey sky and a dull red globe poking through, erie!
Monika
KG Regular

Thank you for that photo of the sun, PaSnip. We took some photos too because it looked so eerie, like an omen for impending doom ...... at least there is a sensible explanation for it. It's now getting rather lively here, one large pot in the garden has already toppled, so had to anchor it down. We just hope that the allotment shed will survive.

Not good in Ireland, is it?
Pa Snip
KG Regular

I was rather hoping it might be a craft to pick up my alien within, nothing quite like being optimistic :lol:

Given that my voice has taken on a more alien like sound I'll listen to a beautiful voice sadly long departed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teBV0EoJJY8

Westi
KG Regular

We had the strange grey/yellow sky but no sun peeking through. Great pic Pa!

Was spooky though as the birds all went to roost, so quiet as well. Great conversation starter though!
Westi
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

We commented on the strange dark haze and red sun while on the train down to Devon. It was sunny and clear when we arrived though.

The storm hasn't done any damage at home except for leaves everywhere and the strongest gust in my garden was 38.3 mph at 01.15.
Geoff
KG Regular

We had the strange end of the world orange glow without the sun actually showing for quite a while then the red sun.

Watching the wind speeds has made me realise I don't completely understand my weather station.

Wind_171017.jpg
Wind_171017.jpg (59.69 KiB) Viewed 4475 times

The table shows the maximum gust as 88 km/h (54.7 mph) whereas the graph has a highest orange dot (gust) at 01:28 of 76.3 km/h (47.4 mph). Anyway I think we have had a lot worse, can't see any damage but I haven't walked round yet.
Monika
KG Regular

Our hops (real, not golden) have been ripped off their supports and a large pot toppled over, but no major damage here in the garden. We have not been to the allotment yet where it much more exposed to the SW.
robo
KG Regular

I've not been down the plot yet but reports of a tree sitting on a car near the plot we had real strong gusts over night still breezy this morning I did see forecasts of 70 mph but no way to know what they actually got to, more for the week end but more down south up to now but will change
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic