Why don't boot soles grip anymore?

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Geoff
KG Regular

I know it's been wet and all my paths are green and greasy but every time I go down the garden I seem to slip. My current gardening boots have soles with the Vibram label that used to be reliable. I don't hill walk anymore but I hate to think what would happen if I had boots that performed like these.
I had some waterproof lightweight boots like superior trainers from Karrimor a couple of years ago and they were impossible. I mentioned them to my brother-in-law and he said he bought some for dog walking and ended up binning them for the same reason.
Is there a make out there that works or have they all lost the correct rubber formulation, probably to save cost?
robo
KG Regular

I've had around 3 pair of karrimor I would not buy another pair I normally use the cheap as chip ones from a local shoe chain but they are out of stock they are normally between £15 to £18 they just about last twelve months but that is Waring them every day
Tony Hague
KG Regular

Geoff wrote:I know it's been wet and all my paths are green and greasy but every time I go down the garden I seem to slip. My current gardening boots have soles with the Vibram label that used to be reliable. I don't hill walk anymore but I hate to think what would happen if I had boots that performed like these.
I had some waterproof lightweight boots like superior trainers from Karrimor a couple of years ago and they were impossible. I mentioned them to my brother-in-law and he said he bought some for dog walking and ended up binning them for the same reason.
Is there a make out there that works or have they all lost the correct rubber formulation, probably to save cost?

I do still head up mountains, and I find Vibram soles to be too hard a compound. A small improvement on hobnail boots, but so hard it well outlasts the rest of the boot. I find Salomon's Contagrip soles rather better for wet surfaces. Not that I would buy them for gardening.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I had a very nasty accident crossing a river on some rocks in Thailand. I was wearing Merrill sandals that were great on dry surfaces but deadly on any damp or wet surface. My son used to be a tour guide and said that a lot of the European brands of footwear had no grip in the wet, but people wearing boots and shoes with real rubber soles had no problems.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic