weedkiller

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Diane
KG Regular

We had to fell a tree and have duly drilled holes round the outside of the stump and applied stump killer. Some of the stump killer inevitably flowed down the outside of the bark and into the surrounding border soil. (there were no other plants in this area). So.....how long do you think I should wait before planting some pretties around the stump? Thought we'd make a "feature" of it and watch it slowly rot down. Anyone had experience of this? Weeks? Months?
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
Tony Hague
KG Regular

Probably depends what was in the stump killer. Many are glyphosate, in which case no need to wait a long time. Others are ammonium sulphamate, which often says 3 months. What does it say on the packet ?
Diane
KG Regular

Ah - that's the problem - the container's been binned. But it was yellow :roll:
robo
KG Regular

There was a clip on face book about how to burn a tree stump out ,you basically drill a load of holes in it from the flat top of the stump down as deep as you can drill them they appear to be about an inch in diameter fill with vegetable oil and also saturate the top of the stump , put a pile of charcoal on the stump and light it keep it going until the stump has burnt away I suspect it will take at least two days with the charcoal well stacked up of an evening
Primrose
KG Regular

Well that's an interesting solution I've never heard of before robo. I'd be tempted to try this to burn out the stump of a very stubborn pyrancantha shrub which was chopped down three years ago but never dug out and keeps re- sprouting. However as the stump is directly at the base of a fence we've just finished painting, (and which actually belongs to the neighbour at the bottom of the garden rather than being our fence), I'm worried it would burn the fence down and we'd be landed with a big bill!. (I did actually set fire to a neighbour's fence about 40 years ago when I got over-enthusiastic with a bonfire!)

Diane, as long as you're not growing plants to eat, I suppose it doesn't matter quite so much if some chemical have leached into the surrounding soil. You can also put a pot plant on the base of the stump for added interest as long as the base of the pot isn't likely to be damaged or corroded by the chemicals you've used.
robo
KG Regular

I've just found the vid it's under metaspoon life
Diane
KG Regular

Thank you - we've put some pots of ornamental grasses (in saucers) around the stump at the moment and, in a moment of inspiration, have put the top of a birdbath onto the top of the stump. Actually it looks quite arty now so not bothered too much about how long it takes to rot down. And I think I'll plant tiarellas around the base in the spring.
Monika
KG Regular

Diane, I don't think the stump killer would have been glyphosate which only acts on the green part of plants, it's likely to have been something more vicious which might stay in the soil for longer. I certainly would not try to plant any perennials yet. Perhaps a test with (free?) annual seeds first?
sally wright
KG Regular

Dear Diane,
see if the weeds grow first..... If they don't save your money/seeds/plants.
Regards Sally Wright.
Tony Hague
KG Regular

Monika wrote:Diane, I don't think the stump killer would have been glyphosate which only acts on the green part of plants, it's likely to have been something more vicious which might stay in the soil for longer.

Actually, a lot of the brands of stump killer are glyphosate. And I agree Monica, I find it surprising if they are terribly effective.

I think Sally's suggestion is a good one.
Westi
KG Regular

Saw that burn thing of a stump as well robo and will keep it in mind when I forfeit my pear tree with scab. In fact I am unhappy with many of my fruit trees (not maturing into the root stock I ordered, think may have been sent wrong one as they are too tall) and thinking now we are keeping the plots need to plant something more manageable.

But back to Diane's question, agree with Sally, test it with something that isn't going to actually cost your anything.
Westi
Diane
KG Regular

Thank you all.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic