Pa Snip Enterprise: A questionable start

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Pa Snip
KG Regular

tigerburnie wrote:Tasting fine is something I am looking to better, I'll take my chances with the blight and go for taste.

I think we may be at cross purposes. I thought your question about being interested in how they taste was related to since they got blight.
Hence my answer they tasted fine, by that I obviously meant the ones that are stored as seemingly uninfected

Taking your question as actually meaning how do they taste in general terms they taste quite strong. They roast, chip, mash & bake well.

Assuming the top growth has not died back earlier they can be left to harvest as a late main or dug after about 20 weeks.
They can produce some quite large tubers ideal for decent size chips

Although the Sarpo range of potatoes have become more well known in recent times this variety was first introduced 15 years ago

I suspect that like their cousins the tomato some will show signs of rotting in store post harvesting.

Given that we lost all tomatoes and some Sarpo Mira to blight I am thinking of disinfecting the areas they were planted with diluted Jeyes fluid.
May not do any good but I'll give it a go as cant see it doing any harm.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

The blighted potato makes me feel queasy. I've grown Sarpo Axona for years and have never had any with blight. They make large tubers especially if you leave them in a long time, but since the tops don't die off they keep on growing until the frosts. They taste better if you pick them a bit earlier and keep very well.
robo
KG Regular

Pa snip after having blight in the pollytunnel last year I sprayed Keyes fluid over everything in the tunnel in fact I did it twice I've not had blight this year my tomatoes are still growing
Johnboy
KG Regular

I would keep quiet about using Jeyes Fluid as a soil sterilizer because it is against the law to use it. It is no longer licenced as soil sterilant.
JB.
robo
KG Regular

John boy I never mentioned jeyes fluid ,thanks to the spell checker
Pa Snip
KG Regular

shame about the run off from the paths that get disinfected and then washed down.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
tigerburnie
KG Regular

I don't intend to use the fluid as a sterilisers, more as a liquid feed promoter...................................
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic