mushrooms aplenty

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Diane
KG Regular

[attachment=0]Mushrooms in lawn_edited-1.jpg[/attachment]

These have popped up with a vengeance in our lawn - are they edible? There used to be a large maple tree about 8 feet away - but it was chopped down many years ago.
Attachments
Mushrooms in lawn_edited-1.jpg
Mushrooms in lawn_edited-1.jpg (1.27 MiB) Viewed 1793 times
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Many years ago my parents took me to Beachy Head in Sussex, in the grassland on top of the cliffs we found wild mushrooms.
Dad assured us they were edible as they peeled as mushrooms do.

Took some home and ate them next day for breaakfast.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

That was the last time I ate 'mushrooms' that were found growing wild

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
robo
KG Regular

When our daughters were a lot younger than they are now we used to camp a lot in Wales the camp site owner used to let us walk his fields we usually had his children with us ,we spent many an evening picking mushrooms most are ok to eat but you do have to be careful, nobody in their right mind would look at a photograph and say they are ok to eat ,there are many ways to tell mushrooms from other inedible fungi my wife starts with the smell I don't have a sense of smell but I look for a ring around the stem ,you have to be very careful even the so called experts get poisoned
Primrose
KG Regular

So tempting isn't it to make use of nature's freebies when we come across them and they may be edible but it's definitely a
case of " get an expert to identify them first." I went on an autumn identification walk with an expert in some woods near us some years ago and one or two funghi he identified looked edible but weren't. If you can find a fungus identification book in your local library that might give you a clue but personally I'd want to see somebody pick, cook and eat them without dropping down dead before I' d be tempted to try them!
Diane
KG Regular

Absolutely - I don't think I'll be popping them into the frying pan with a knob of butter - just in case.
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic