Village Shows -any tips or observations?

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Mouse2
KG Regular

Your post has made me chuckle, Sally :lol:

Luckily, our show hasn't been running long enough for that kind of unpleasantness to develop, and hopefully we can keep things good natured anyway. The rivalry that is now developing is, as far as I can see, very friendly, with all of us prepared to share any tips that we have picked up along the way that might help others.

I have only just sat down after a very long day lifting, cleaning and sorting my veg for tomorrow's show, and flowers (just managed to pick those before the heavens opened!), and baking. My last job of the day was trying to straighten some runner beans.

An early start tomorrow, as I have to bake some sausage rolls and pasties that I made and froze a few weeks ago, then somehow pack everything into my tiny car. Hard work, but I am looking forward to the show regardless of the outcome. One thing is for sure - we won't be short of food after the show!
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Good luck Bert..... :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Our usual overall winner did not attend this year due to a family event. A tie on the top points in show has resulted in the cup being shared custody for next 12 months between a fellow plot holder and my daughter.

My own successes and failures (plenty of those) this year are on another thread

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Mouse2
KG Regular

I wasn't able to attend our show - I got a phone call at 3am to say that my dear dad didn't have long left, so i abandoned everything to get up to Yorkshire to see him in hospital and be there for my mum. He sadly passed away today.

What I hadn't expected was that my two sons and a daughter-in-law would decide enter my abandoned things on my behalf. Son no. 2 rang in the afternoon to say that of the 45 entries they had managed to put in, I had won 19 first places! That's twice as many as last year. They took it in turns to go up and collect 3 trophies from a rather puzzled councillor- winner of the crafts section, winner of the preserves section, and overall show winner. What a rollercost of emotions yesterday!

I hope no one thinks it is too odd that I am posting at a time like this. I can't sleep, my mind is all over the place, and I just needed to do something to take my mind off today's events.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Mouse

Given some of my previous posts relating to my own ongoing condition I, for one, certainly do not think your post is odd.
It is one way of helping you deal with your situation.

My Condolences.

Well done your sons and daughter in law, the results have hopefully also given you something to help ease the pain of your loss.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
robo
KG Regular

Mouse , nobody will think your posting is odd , you are doing well to get through the problems you face ,life can be traumatic at times I know from our problems posting can ease the pain
Primrose
KG Regular

Miouse, I send you my deep sympathy. The loss of any parent is devastating. The loss of your first parent is especially traumatic to deal with.
How lovely though that your children recognised your hard work for the show and entered your items so your efforts were not wasted. Congratulations on such a good result. I hope this will have lifted your spirits at a difficult time. What a thoughtful family you have.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

So sorry Mouse, at least you got there in time and your son's didn't let you down with your excellent efforts.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Mouse, for what it is worth, you are in my thoughts and I too send my deepest sympathies.
I know this forum was a huge help to me, when everything here seemed very dark.....

And well done with your exhibits... what a very kind thing of your family to do...
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
peter
KG Regular

Big hug.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Condolences Mouse, thoughts are with you
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Mouse2
KG Regular

Thank you so much, all of you. Your kind messages genuinely mean a lot to me.
Gerry
KG Regular

Condolences from me too, Mouse.
retropants
KG Regular

so sorry Mouse.
Mouse2
KG Regular

Taking five minutes out from funeral arrangements etc. now so will make an amusing observation about the missed show.
When we left the house early on Sunday morning, I grabbed all the tomatoes that I had picked the day before, including the ones for the show, and took them with me knowing that they would get used at my mum's. That meant that, as far as I know, the only toms I left at home were either unripe or damaged. However, DS2 saw them and took them to the show regardless. When putting them on a plate, someone even told him that they didn't stand a chance. Guess what - they did win!!, I still dont know how that happened :?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic