Village Shows -any tips or observations?

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Mouse2
KG Regular

Our village show is on Sunday, and as well as fruit and veg, includes crafts, photography, art etc.

As the day draws closer, I have lots of doubts about best practice, so thought I would start this thread as a place where we can both share experiences and ask or answer each other's questions.

I would like to start the ball rolling by asking the more experienced among you how soon I can harvest produce for the show. More specifically, my (hopefully) long parsnips, of which I have only three growing in a barrel. Ideally, I would like to lift these on Thursday or Friday because I will be run off my feet on Saturday. Is there any reason why I shouldn't? Because they will be judged purely on length, rather than freshness, I can't see not, but would appreciate some input :)
Monika
KG Regular

Mouse2, I have always harvested all my vegetables (always two or three more than I had actually intended to show) on Friday afternoon/evening for a Saturday show, then tidied them up and made the final decision at home. I then prepared them for the show, like tying the leek leaves with raffia, getting the shallots ready on a saucer of sand etc. Everything that needed keeping cool and fresh was then left on a large flat black tray and covered with damp tea towels and left outside overnight or, if it was really wet, in the greenhouse. Preserves and handicraft are obviously kept inside.
And, very important, make a list of everything you want to show, go through it and tick it off as you leave the house on the day!
On the parsnips: I am sure they will be fine lifted two or three days before but I would still cover or wrap them in a damp cloth.
Mouse2
KG Regular

Good advice. Thanks Monica.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Don't be surprised when something which looks undersize and under ripe gets a higher placed ticket than you do.

I leave it as late as possible to collect items off the plot that I am entering.

Try and show runner beans that are straight, if they are not then try wrapping them in a damp tea towel from the day before, uncovering them from time to time and manipulate them to straightness very carefully by hand.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Pa Snip
KG Regular

IF, big IF, I actually take what i have entered for local Horticultural & craft show I shall be entering 16 classes this Saturday.
That is if they accept our entries, Ma Snip is entering some classes as well and we are both a day late entering

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Westi
KG Regular

Oops Pa!

We had a riot at our show when the troublesome neighbour of mine didn't abide to the rules & was allowed to display after the tent was supposed to be closed for judging. Probably would have been ignored if they hadn't got a first for their raspberries! :)
Westi
Mouse2
KG Regular

That reminds me - i really need to put my entry form tomorrow, as i will have to pay twice as much if I leave it any later. With a possible 50 entries, I can't afford not to! So, decision time tomorrow, as I make a final decision on what veg might be worth entering on the day!
Monika
KG Regular

That's interesting, you mentioning entry fee, Mouse2: how much do you pay for your entries and what sort of prizes are there?

Our entries are all free, there are no money prizes for adults, just trophies for most points overall, most points in each section (vegetables, flowers, photographs etc etc) and best exhibit in each section plus two vouchers donated by local firms. Children get £1 for a first prize, 50p for second and 25p for third.
Mouse2
KG Regular

Pa Snip - It's funny that you should mention straightening runner beans. My Enorma runner beans have refused to grow straight this year, so over the last week I have been experimenting to see if I could straighten them. I picked some of the worst, and have had reasonable success, so I am hopeful that if I can find enough beans that are only moderately curved, I might be able to get them straight enough to enter. Brute force and ignorance often work for me, along with a healthy dose of sheer persistence, so fingers crossed. The trouble is, it would be a very time-consuming thing to do, so I might not have time to try it in the end!

Before:
IMG_20170901_093432.jpg
IMG_20170901_093432.jpg (2.56 MiB) Viewed 4737 times

After:
IMG_20170902_204627.jpg
IMG_20170902_204627.jpg (2.03 MiB) Viewed 4737 times

Surprisingly, they still passed my snap test after nearly 48 hours of abuse, too - though I am not sure that our judges even do that test!
Last edited by Mouse2 on Thu Sep 07, 2017 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mouse2
KG Regular

Monica, adults pay 20p per entry in advance (at least 3 days before the show), or 40p after that. Children's entries are half that. We have no prizes, other than cups for the winners of the different sections.
Monika
KG Regular

Thank you for that, Mouse2. Presumably, the entry money pays for the hall hire etc? Some years ago we discussed charging for entries, but instead increased the entry to the show (to view the results, not to exhibit) from £1 for adults to £2 and also offered scones with jam and cream for payment and that money now pays for any necessary expenses.
Mouse2
KG Regular

It goes towards that, Monica, yes. Hot drinks, cakes, and even an all-day breakfast are on sale, too. On top of that, there are usually a small number of 'stalls' (tables) for which, if i remember rightly, a small charge is made plus a raffle donation asked for. However, there is no charge made for entry to view at our show.

The biggest cost is the hire of the hall, which is high because setting up of tables takes place the night before and that has to be paid for too. It does seem a shame, as the show is a village event, for its residents and held in the Village Hall, but full price still has to be paid.

Personally, I think that charging for entry to view sounds like a good idea!
sally wright
KG Regular

Dear All,
I used to do the local shows (with mum as partner in crime and getaway driver) as a teenager before I left home and went to college. At one particular show I had done rather well with about half a dozen cards and my mum had a few as well. The trouble was that it turns out that a pair of farmers wives in the village usually did turn and turn about with the home cooking cup; but that year mum and I had taken enough points off both of them to allow someone else to win the cup. It was a good job I was not around in the weeks afterwards..... neither was very happy with me and they would not talk to my mum for weeks, but my dad thought it was an utter hoot! So did their husbands (but not within earshot you understand) as it meant a relatively peaceful year in the family because they were united in their condemnation of us.

But do you know I don't think my mum was prouder of anything else than the 20/20 with gold star that she won in the WI tent at the great Yorkshire show for her lemon curd.

Does anyone remember a few years back the great British village show with Alan Tichmarsh? In the credits is my sister and her husband carrying a giant marrow into the tent. They won their heat and had to go to Highgrove for the final.

Regards Sally Wright.
Primrose
KG Regular

Sally, what a lovely story about the lemon curd, and also the giant marrow. I think some people can take these events a little too seriously. It's lovely that people should have their skills recognised but sad when what should be just a bit of friendly competition is taken to such a personal level.
Westi
KG Regular

Goodness Sally - that is fab! I bet it is still on the internet somewhere ! I remember the show but not the detail!
Westi
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic