Mid Summer Bits and Bobs - 2017.

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Primrose
KG Regular

Monika, I'm sure your village show organisation will have been sorely missed, Willing volunteers these days for anything are hard to find but yes, it's nice sometimes to step back from the responsibility of all these commitments and just be a member of the general public.

I think the public always think these events just happen and don't realise all the hard work which goes in behind the scenes. We always say in our village, where there are always lots of community things happening, that if the volunteers ever went on strike, it would be like a ghost city. So three cheers for all the volunteers up and down the country, whatever organisation or activity they're involved in !
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Overcast & slightly ground damp start to the day here. Quite humid, could it be a day for receiving a blight warning I wonder.
Was planning a visit to the plot today, will leave it until later in the day.

Will probably head off out this morning and attempt some daylight pictures of Duchess of Sutherland who made her way down south from Crewe through Banbury the other night. Didn't see any cock horse, nor was there any rings on fingers or bells on toes, there was a whistle though which was quite musical.

DSC_4859.JPG
DSC_4859.JPG (2.43 MiB) Viewed 3007 times
Last edited by Pa Snip on Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Back to plot matters later.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Primrose
KG Regular

Got the front garden and verge borders weeded yesterday in advance of the rain with some help of my " non gardening" husband. who still has a certain amount of difficulty in differentiating between alkanet weed leaves and foxgloves seedlings although I have to admit they do look quite similar to an untrained eye. At one point he called me over to ask what to do about all the strange little "yellow insect eggs" he found around the base of some young rhododendrons. I had to point out they were slow release fertiliser granules ! We are getting there slowly! My creaky knee joints certainly welcome some added assistance.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I sympathise with you Primrose, my partner has pulled a clematis off three times thinking it was bindweed. I said why did he think I would be training and tying in bindweed to the tree!!!!!
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Amputation to be carried out.

Sungold, first sign of blight this year.

DSC_4945.JPG
DSC_4945.JPG (1.64 MiB) Viewed 2980 times

Westi
KG Regular

Oops!

I got a blight warning yesterday & again today! The spuds are lifted & the Toms were fine, but no ripe fruit - well at the weekend anyway? It's interesting Pa that your blight is on the stem & no evidence on the leaves? Are they under cover?
Westi
Primrose
KG Regular

Noticed the first signs of blight on some of my cordon tomatoes today, both on foliage and on main stalk. Ironically the ones affected are Ferline which are supposed to be blight resistant. Have pulled off all the affected leaves, any newrky ripe tomatoes and sprayed with a rather old fungicide which is out of date and probably too little too late but it was all I had available.

Have a good crop of still half ripe and green tomatoes on the vines. Dont t know now whether to pick them all or risk leaving them on for another few days to see what happens. Decisions! decisions!
robo
KG Regular

Mine started like yours last year pa snip but it quickly move to the leaves then the fruits
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Westi wrote:Oops!

I got a blight warning yesterday & again today! The spuds are lifted & the Toms were fine, but no ripe fruit - well at the weekend anyway? It's interesting Pa that your blight is on the stem & no evidence on the leaves? Are they under cover?

No westi they are outside. Never known blight to start any other way, always on the stem.

Primrose wrote:Noticed the first signs of blight on some of my cordon tomatoes today, both on foliage and on main stalk. Ironically the ones affected are Ferline which are supposed to be blight resistant. Have pulled off all the affected leaves, any newrky ripe tomatoes and sprayed with a rather old fungicide which is out of date and probably too little too late but it was all I had available.

Have a good crop of still half ripe and green tomatoes on the vines. Dont t know now whether to pick them all or risk leaving them on for another few days to see what happens. Decisions! decisions!

I would not use fungicide when fruits are forming, some will surely be adsorbed.
I rarely find any fruits ripen once taken off an infected plant, they go black and rot.

robo wrote:Mine started like yours last year pa snip but it quickly move to the leaves then the fruits

Indeed robo hence the surgeon will attend in the morning to carry out as much amputation as possible.
Now where have I heard that before recently !!!! :roll: :lol:

Westi
KG Regular

Hi Pa!

Actually your right with tomatoes, it is stem then leaves, it's spuds that get foliage damage first.
Westi
Geoff
KG Regular

Did you sow swede this weekend as per MD on GW?
Have you ever tried them anything like this late?
I sow in May.
Westi
KG Regular

Hi Geoff!

Never watched it this week, but he must have some micro-climate to sow this late & get anything decent! Mine have been in ages but not very big, well except the foliage which is thriving!
Westi
robo
KG Regular

I planted 2 rows about three weeks ago I do normally plant them late on
Primrose
KG Regular

Morning Ward Round inspection of five trays of tomatoes picked from infected blighted plants destroyed on Saturday. So far no sign of any infection. Early days but fingers crossed!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic