Can anyone identify this ?

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Ricard with an H
KG Regular

I've gone through three wildflower books, it isn't illustrated, presumably it isn't a wildflower. It is self sown but not from anything I have grown.

I just don't know where too start looking to identify it and because it has health looking seed heads I will be dispersing the seed in the stone chipping drive covering where many plants are happy with no soil underneath.
Attachments
IMG_1170.jpg
IMG_1170.jpg (142.81 KiB) Viewed 1996 times
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
Geoff
KG Regular

Love-in-a-Mist Nigella damascena
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

Thanks Geoff, it was the seed heads that threw me. None of the photos I have of Nigella have seed heads of that colour and I have never grown Nigella so it blew over or bird-droppings.

Nice that it placed itself on the edge of the drive rather than the middle.

I got so excited, that makes two types of Aquilegia, Welsh Poppy and now Nigella self seeding in the drive chippings.

The other thing that threw me was the only photo I have of Nigella not only shows green seed heads but the instructions for planting are to use well composted soil. There isn't any soil under this Nigella, just stone chipping over another locally quarried drive base that amalgamates to a hard-core though is impervious enough that water doesn't run over it which was the criteria because we are close to the bottom of the valley.
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Nigell are very good self seeders Richard so you should have a nice little colony soon. The seed pods look as attractive as the flowers too. If you don't want too many self seeding the seed heads look nice in dried flower arrangements.
Geoff
KG Regular

Maybe you got them from here?

Nigella.jpg
Nigella.jpg (638.36 KiB) Viewed 1984 times

I was going to complain about the colour range, we are growing them for cutting (and seed heads) and only got blue and white. If you like calendulas look out for the Touch of Red strain, lovely flowers.

IMG_3897_R.jpg
IMG_3897_R.jpg (1.35 MiB) Viewed 1984 times
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic