Pa Snip Enterprise, Stone the Crows !!!!!!

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Pa Snip
KG Regular

Pa Snip log 25-6-17

Activity date Friday 23-6-17, planted out 44 leeks, variety Cairngorm.
Watered in well.

Saturday 24/6 received early morning text from Mrs S, problem on plot.
As she approached the plot two crows flew off, on inspection they had pulled up and chomped 41 of the 44 plants and left them scattered on the ground..
02626.jpg
02626.jpg (285.25 KiB) Viewed 1661 times

First time I have ever had leeks pulled out.

02828.jpg
02828.jpg (266.41 KiB) Viewed 1661 times

Of the original 44 plants, 4 disappeared completely the rest were replanted and covered with netting

Precautions will be taken when I plant out the Northern Lights variety !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

What a mess. I hope they reestablish ok. I wonder if watering them in had brought some worms up and they were looking for them. I've bought a lot of new bird and butterfly netting recently and am covering more things up than I usually do. Once you've set it up at least you know there are a few less things to share your crop with.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Hi PP

Good theory

The ground itself was undisturbed, it did not appear as if anything had been grubbing around. Leaves had been cut through by their beaks as they lifted them out I reckon.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
robo
KG Regular

Pigeons did the same to mine three weeks ago but only pulled the out there was only one damaged I replanted and they seem ok now
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Probably the "if it pokes out of the ground let's pull it up syndrome" they have with newly planted shallots and onions too. I don't suppose it could be the smell they are attracted to.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

PLUMPUDDING wrote:Probably the "if it pokes out of the ground let's pull it up syndrome" they have with newly planted shallots and onions too. I don't suppose it could be the smell they are attracted to.

:oops: Crikey, I'm sure I had a shower before and after planting :oops:

Planted out 30 'Northern Lights' leeks today. Covered before leaving plot.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic