A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Bussinspain
KG Regular

Hi. I am Linda and I live in Spain. I have been gardening for 7 years over here. It has taken that long to get the white gypsum type soil into good enough heart to grow my veggies. Lots and lots of home made compost and horse, chicken and donkey poo having been dug in. This year looks like it will be the best so far. I recently took out a suscription for KG and I am so pleased with it. Loving the challenge of Grow UK varieties of veggies here.
Diane
KG Regular

Hello Linda, Sounds like you've had your work cut out to get a good soil. All that animal poo must have helped enormously. Good luck with your veg crop. What are you planning to grow? And what's your favourite?
'Preserve wildlife - pickle a rat'
robo
KG Regular

Hi Linda, welcome I hope you stick around its a good forum very helpful ,my wife and myself spend a lot of time in Spain or I should say we did until we had a run of real bad luck but if all goes well in the next couple of months we will be going back over , it's hard growing a lot of our favorite vegetables in Spain probably to hot but I must admit we were given a couple of cauliflowers grown by one of the guys living near us to say I was jealous is a very big understatement they were massive and perfect
Westi
KG Regular

Hi Linda - welcome!

You obviously have worked hard to get this far so please continue to share & post about your successes, failures & tips! Oh & pics too! Robo in particular would be very interested, but we all interested in new ideas & potentially can adapt some of yours to suit our climate.
Westi
Shallot Man
KG Regular

Hi Linda-welcome from me also.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

A very warm welcome from me too. Linda..... we really need some new members, so please keep posting as much as you can.... :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Shallot Man
KG Regular

oldherbaceous wrote:A very warm welcome from me too. Linda..... we really need some new members, so please keep posting as much as you can.... :)

There is too many of us old one's still about.
Bussinspain
KG Regular

Many thanks for the welcome. I will try and upload some pics when I've worked out how to do it. My main battles here are the intense heat and watering. I have made shady tunnels over my veggie beds and they seem to be working!
Westi
KG Regular

These climates we endure & eventually tame teach us so much! Then Mother Nature throws us a completely new weather pattern the next year! But hey we use past knowledge, new ideas from these guys on the forum & endure & hey why would't you?
Nothing like your own crops to really understand the taste difference!
Westi
Primrose
KG Regular

Welcome on board Linda. It's always interesting to read about the challenges which others face in different climates. We too often become obsessed with the difficulty that our own British climate presents, hankering for warmer conditions for some of our crops, forgetting that those who enjoy them usually face different challenges which can be equally frustrating.

Do share your successes and failures. As our temperatures gradually rise here due to global warming, learning about the specific challenges of growing in a warmer climate will be interesting, especially information about varieties which seem to thrive in a warmer climate.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic