Chelsea 2017

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

peter
KG Regular

Not going myself, but my neighbour Doug and his landscape gardening company, Focused Landscapes, have just completed a trade stand for a garden furniture company called Gaze Burvill and I have to say it looks stunning.
FB_IMG_1495264661215.jpg
FB_IMG_1495264661215.jpg (372.8 KiB) Viewed 3930 times

Obviously it's intent is to showcase their furniture and schmooze potential customers or dealers. :D
Attachments
FB_IMG_1495265141581.jpg
FB_IMG_1495265141581.jpg (77.72 KiB) Viewed 3929 times
FB_IMG_1495265132872.jpg
FB_IMG_1495265132872.jpg (101.83 KiB) Viewed 3929 times
FB_IMG_1495265113614.jpg
FB_IMG_1495265113614.jpg (112.98 KiB) Viewed 3929 times
FB_IMG_1495265107838.jpg
FB_IMG_1495265107838.jpg (122.84 KiB) Viewed 3929 times
FB_IMG_1495265088514.jpg
FB_IMG_1495265088514.jpg (91.75 KiB) Viewed 3929 times
FB_IMG_1495265077693.jpg
FB_IMG_1495265077693.jpg (94.4 KiB) Viewed 3929 times
FB_IMG_1495265028930.jpg
FB_IMG_1495265028930.jpg (122.63 KiB) Viewed 3929 times
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Pa Snip
KG Regular

The investment in trade stands is huge, and not always worthwhile.
The company your neighbour has done the work for has made substantial investment, I hope it is a successful show for them

It is not just design & build costs, the ground space charges by RHS alone are frightening. Garden designs have to be approved by RHS.

For those working the stands during the show it is a long hard week.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Never been, but usually watch on tv, wish it had a bit more fruit and veg show cased.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Those sort of stands probably do quite well around London where people are more likely to sit about entertaining and have someone else to do the gardening. It's not warm enough up here to sit outside anyway for most of the year.

Bonfire night is usually the highlight of our outdoor eating experiences.
Primrose
KG Regular

I went to a garden centre recently where previously the outdoor furniture they sold would have been simple and practical. Now it has all been replaced by massive "waterproof" woven furniture which takes up massive amounts of space and which require huge cushions which have to be accommodated in enormous waterproof storage lockers. And there are probably only about three days in the year when it is actually warm and sunny enough to use them. This seems to be what the gardening industry has now become. - more an outdoor furnishing industry than a plant based business.

And I must confess I find the concept of some of the themed gardens absolutely baffling.with all the bizarre metal and concrete constructions which are included. I suppose they had to find something to replace all that obsolete decking!
Last edited by Primrose on Sat May 20, 2017 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Primrose wrote: I suppose they had to find something to replace all that obsolete decking!

Today's question > Which ship did it come off

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Westi
KG Regular

Is that Pippa's wedding pics?
Westi
tigerburnie
KG Regular

It's gardening Jim, but not as we know it..........................

Star trekking across the universe.......................................
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Geoff
KG Regular

Only 8 big show gardens this year as a lot of sponsors have dropped out, it is the last year for the main show sponsor too. There will be more smaller gardens so might be interesting. It's not the weird designs or even the footballers' budgets that get to me but the lack of respect to seasonality, plant combinations that could never flower together naturally.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

ULTIMATE PASTIME OF THE WEEK AT CHELSEA

When I worked the show , close of show was on a Friday night and the pastime of the week unfolded. The sell off !!!

Watching people struggling by with huge plants that would never again be in flower at this time of year, maybe never in flower again. Trying to get them on buses and coaches.

Many a time you saw a wheelchair being pushed, loaded to the hilt with plants. Underneath, almost completely obscured from view was granny or granddad trying desperately to keep all the plants in their laps.

It truly was a comedic sight. Picture if you will the volume of traffic departing the Chelsea area on a Friday night at the start of a bank holiday weekend

Geoff
Have to agree with what you say

There has always been a turnover of sponsors, it is such a huge financial commitment.
If the main sponsor is going this year I suspect they already have another signed up. We will hear their name time and time again through that organisation that is not supposed to advertise. Good old non commercial BBC.
I am just hoping that it will be one series of programmes that Clare Balding is not involved in presenting :D Seems to have become an expert on everything else.

Pardon the pun, but it would be an opportunity for the show to get back to its roots. The large gardens have got far too outlandishly unrealistic as designers try to outdo each other

oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I had the offer of a free ticket, but i just have too much work on, anyway, i'm not a huge fan of crowds and it always looks shoulder to shoulder.....
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

It always used to be shoulder to shoulder, and tickets always sold out months in advance.
I noticed relatively recently that tickets were still on sale, however it will still be packed.

peter
KG Regular

When I went as a child with my dad it was packed and that was forty-five years ago. :shock:
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

They are having an RHS show at Chatsworth this year so I might go to that. I'm sure it will be very expensive and crowded but Chatsworth park has some nice walks.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

PLUMPUDDING wrote:They are having an RHS show at Chatsworth this year so I might go to that. I'm sure it will be very expensive and crowded but Chatsworth park has some nice walks.

A mistress of the understatement when it comes to the cost !!!!!

Due to unprecedented demand the tickets for Wednesday, Friday and Saturday have sold out in advance. We advise purchasing your tickets beforehand for Thursday and Sunday to avoid disappointment on the day.
We're sorry if you missed out on RHS Chatsworth Flower Show tickets this year but a wonderful day awaits at RHS Flower Show Tatton Park!

Wednesday | June 7, 2017
Members Only
sold out

Thursday | June 8, 2017
...............................Members Public
All day (limited Availability) £26 ...... £32.50
3.30pm .......................£17.50 .....£21.50

Friday | June 9, 2017
All day (Sold Out)
3.30pm (Sold Out)

Saturday | June 10, 2017
All day (Sold Out)
3.30pm (Sold Out)

Sunday | June 11, 2017
.......Members................... Public
All day £26 .....................£32.50

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic