Aircraft identification needed

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Monika
KG Regular

Two four-engined propeller planes crossed Skipton, North Yorkshire, quite low from W to E at about 10.45 this morning. Does anybody know what they were and why they were there?
Pa Snip
KG Regular

As the RAF Battle of Britain Memorial Flight will fly over Abingdon (Oxfordshire) this Sunday it may have been a beginning of season test flight.
Was one larger than t'other.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Monika
KG Regular

Yes, I think the second one was smaller.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

You sure one wasn't twin prop.
That would make them potentially the BBMF Lancaster and Dakota. (now proved to be not the case as they are out of service)

Apparently the spits and hurricane are all tested and approved for flight as of yesterday.
Last edited by Pa Snip on Sun May 14, 2017 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Clive.
KG Regular

The Lanc' is still at Duxford working towards completion of its servicing and I believe I read that the Dakota is u/s.?

Looking on http://www.fightercontrol.co.uk/forum/index.php it lists a couple of C130 about under a callsign which I have regularly seen used as pair in trail around here.
We have seen the new A400 Atlas a few times too, that makes a most unusual wailing whining sound, whilst the C130 have a relatively soft and quiet note.

Aircraft thread lured me out of my forum hibernation. :) ..I still check on here from time to time but life has got very busy just lately.

Clive.
Monika
KG Regular

Hello, Clive, I was hoping you might see my post and reply! They definitely had four engines, Pa Snip, and I looked at your link, Clive, and also at pictures of C130s and believe it could have been two of those. Perhaps they were on their way to RAF Leeming? If I find out anything locally, I'll keep you posted.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

It never entered my mind that it might be Hercules mimicking Hannibal and heading to cross the Pennines.

richard p
KG Regular

if theres two with 4 propellors , following each other close and low its likely to be hercules', i saw two just north of exeter a couple of weeks or so ago, was actually surprised they were so close to exeter airport.... not that exter airport is that busy .
Monika
KG Regular

Just had confirmation from a local aircraft buff that the two planes I saw on Friday were Hercules .....
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic