The Giant Marrow Topic!

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Pa Snip
KG Regular

Surprised, and sorry, that you missed the posts Geoff, only been 5 pages of posts on the subject so far :lol: but I don't think any of us is on a dead cert winner.

What I hoped was going to be my main contender is hardly any bigger than it was in my last pic.

from the three plants we have from that free packet I don't think, so far, that it is a variety that gets very big. It seems to be putting on a bit of girth but no more length at present.

I'd lay odds that it wont be one from that free packet of seeds that wins.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Geoff
KG Regular

I'd read the posts just hadn't realised those were the seeds I used until I was sorting out a late courgette sowing for the tunnel.
Mouse2
KG Regular

Mine weren''t free, but are Green Bush 2 - can i join in?

I sowed them 11 May, and they have just started producing. If i can't join in officially, I will just make do with competing ' virtually' :)
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I can't see any reason why not......

Are you the Mouse that used to be a member and from Northampton? Well i think it was Northampton...... :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Mouse2
KG Regular

That's me, OH - aka Bert (for reasons thank I can no longer remember) :lol:
Long time no see :D
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I can't remember why i started calling you Bert either, Mouse... :) But a very warm welcome back, it's been a long time....
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Mouse2
KG Regular

Thank you. I knew I could count on you to still recognize me, despite how much I have changed! :D
Westi
KG Regular

Mine's got flowers! Whoop! It's only about 6" high though! :(

Based on the above I think we should have a different prize category! Largest from the forum members?? But still think OH is hiding his talents & has a mega beast hidden away! :) No prize obviously just some kudos to show we (some of us 'we') are pretty good as growing!
Westi
robo
KG Regular

I think you are right pa snip I don't think this variety grow very big Billy no mates has not grown any larger for the last two weeks it seems stuck on 17 inches long
Mouse2
KG Regular

My first definite marrow stuck on only about 14"! I have another that is now about 19" long, but suspect that I made a labelling mistake, as it is growing on what i thought was a courgette plant (All Green Bush). I thought i had only planted one marrow, and three courgettes, but colour-wise, this big 'courgette' looks more like the fruit on the marrow plant than that on the other two courgette plants, so i am slightly confused! :?
Mouse2
KG Regular

My Green Bush 2 marrow plant is big, but its fruits are refusing to grow to any size at all. The first only reached 14" before I removed it because it had stopped growing, and the next is only about 10" now, and soooo slow growing that I dont think it will even reach 14".
My courgettes are much keener to grow! The one that I thought have been mislabellled (though I've changed my mind now and an fairly sure it is a courgette as intended) is much bigger than the marrow, and grew much quicker, though I think it might have reached its limit now at 19.5 inches.

Is anyone having better luck with their narrows?
robo
KG Regular

I've 2 growing one marrow on each the first one reached 17 inches then stopped growing the second one has grown to 16 inches in two weeks but we are away in the morning for 12 nights I will have to see what I'm left with when I get back
Mouse2
KG Regular

They might surprise you, and turn into real giants while you are away :D

If it carries on like this, they won't go short of water, anyway!
Westi
KG Regular

I'm still going for the booby prize! Plant has grown but only producing male flowers so far!

Can't blame lack of watering! lol
Westi
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I think my courgettes are trying to join this competition. I hadn't checked them for a few days and have a 15 inch one this morning.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic