The Giant Marrow Topic!

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

KG Steve
KG Editor

That's a shame Plumpudding!

Can you try clicking the attachments box below, then add files, then add inline (I think). Any good?
Steve Ott
Kitchen Garden Editor
robo
KG Regular

Mine at present is not worth a photograph I want to make it work for its fame
Westi
KG Regular

I'm going to be well behind Marvin, but found my first seed planted in the back compost had actually decided to emerge. I have transplanted it into the cold frame for a bit of protection & a boost in the growth! Hope Maurice (mind he looks a bit like a George), likes the sweet potato slips that will be joining him which are also well behind! But got invited to pay a lower price for the slips available from a known seed company so maybe it is not their year - again!

No competition from me then but still a personal challenge!
Westi
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

20170623_224536.jpg
20170623_224536.jpg (379.71 KiB) Viewed 2881 times
Cat with courgettes - one or two I overlooked. It's a few years ago but a nice picture of my little helper who died last year aged 17.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Thanks for the advice Steve. I cheated and took a photo of the photo on my lap top with my tablet!
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Progress report.

Using the free packet of Mr Fothergills Long Greenbush Marrow.
Contents all 5 seeds sown.
3 germinated
2 were chosen, 3rd was runt plant and disposed of.

First to produce flower and fruit was this one

03030.jpg
03030.jpg (172.58 KiB) Viewed 2863 times

Followed by plant No 2, 8 days later

02929.jpg
02929.jpg (177.31 KiB) Viewed 2863 times

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Primrose
KG Regular

Looks healthy. I,ve just picked three four inch baby courgettes so going to be a non contender. if we're ever going to eat stuffed marrow in this house this autumn it,a likely to be courtesy of somebody's else's overlooked courgettes!
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Well all have to go on holiday, you can guarantee they'll put two or three feet on if you aren't there.
Westi
KG Regular

Looking good Pa!

Mine now has 5 wee leaves & seems pretty happy in the cold frame but won't be able to catch up on yours.
Westi
KG Steve
KG Editor

Oh no! Looking better than mine Pa Snip. My first one eaten by mistake, the second one I posted a picture of last week I realised over the weekend has a wonky end; the flower came away to reveal a kind of pig's snout or belly button! I think it'll rot. :(
That's what you get for showing off! Another coming along, but still very small and now way behind.
Steve Ott
Kitchen Garden Editor
Primrose
KG Regular

I don,t think the current leaders should take anything for granted. Like the recent General Election winning positions can soon disappear (and that's the only time I'm going to mention politics!,). It's mystidying and frustrating how an otherwise healthy looking fruit can suddenly go all limp and saggy on you. Was the end touching the ground perhaps which caused the problem?
KG Steve
KG Editor

You could be right Primrose. I've put it on a slate now in the hope that it'll keep growing. Otherwise I can see the red card going to Pa Snip!
Steve Ott
Kitchen Garden Editor
Pa Snip
KG Regular

:lol:

I am far from thinking I stand a chance in this, someone out there is keeping quiet !!!!!
Each and every one of you could soon catch up
Whilst I shall treat it as a bit of fun it will be one more thing to keep me on the straight and marrow.

Just a point though, us ordinary members have to pay at time of purchase for plant foods and fertilisers whereas it appears our chief honcho can put things on the slate. :roll:

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
KG Steve
KG Editor

How does your marrow smell? With its nose of course! Or maybe it was just the runt of the litter?
Attachments
IMG_1216.JPG
IMG_1216.JPG (2.12 MiB) Viewed 2823 times
IMG_1215.JPG
IMG_1215.JPG (1.57 MiB) Viewed 2823 times
Steve Ott
Kitchen Garden Editor
KG Steve
KG Editor

Disaster has struck. Mervin 2 has botrytis on his snout! Doomed I'm afraid. Now it's all down to Mervin 3 - a shadow of Mervin 2's magnificence. :(
Steve Ott
Kitchen Garden Editor
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic