Full blown Spring Bits and Bobs. - 2017

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Primrose
KG Regular

Can't believe what few hours of overnight rain can do. A section of border I weeded conscientiously 48 hours ago was full of small oxalis weeds again. i despair of this damned plant.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I've caught and eliminated over 500 slugs and snails in 45 minutes. They must have been very hungry waiting for some rain. I'm surprised my hedgehogs aren't In the garden tonight. Perhaps they're stuffed full of worms etc already.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

PLUMPUDDING wrote:I've caught and eliminated over 500 slugs and snails in 45 minutes. They must have been very hungry waiting for some rain. I'm surprised my hedgehogs aren't In the garden tonight. Perhaps they're stuffed full of worms etc already.

500 !!!!! crikey !! with luck you'll have some very plump hedgehog visitors

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Primrose
KG Regular

Well, the problem here at the moment is ANTS ! Thousands of them. They have made a nest in one of my trays of seedlings in my mini plastic greenhouse and annoyingly they seem to have invaded our kitchen too.
I always have a mental note around July 20/21st which is when all the flying ants around here seem to appear and take off. I've noticed this event every year and it always seems to take place within the few same dates every year.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

That's the dates they can get cheapest flights.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
robo
KG Regular

Deathlac works well on ants
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Re growing caulis my first question not how but why, minging things.
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I love a good Cauliflower, Tigerburnie...... just bung em in, a couple of waters, then harvest the big, pure white curds... :)
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Primrose
KG Regular

Well OH certainly sounds as if growing cauliflowers are a piece of cake. I have several planted this year so will wait to see if he's right. I have never yet succeeded in growing one I could feel reasonably proud of. With some nice strong mature cheddar cheese sauce and a couple of rashers of smoked bacon, or some pan roasted pine nuts sprinkled on top I think they make a really tasty supper.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

I'm growing the Romanesque ones for the missus, I can nearly eat that without grimacing.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

oldherbaceous wrote:I love a good Cauliflower, Tigerburnie...... just bung em in, a couple of waters, then harvest the big, pure white curds... :)

Brilliant :lol:

For the full run down on this and other cauliflower stories from the plot look out for The Oldherbaceous Book of Fairy Stories in a bookshop near you soon.
Short stories with no plot. :lol: 8)
Last edited by Pa Snip on Tue May 30, 2017 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

robo
KG Regular

Last year all our caulies went to seed the year before we had some really good ones , with cheese sauce they are well worth the effort one of the wife's Christmas dinner specials
tigerburnie
KG Regular

I tried growing calibres and broccoli too, dunnae like them either.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Overwintered 9cauli's and ate the last one about a month back.
Sown some more for this autumns harvest

Smashing to eat, but do tend to go past best very quickly. Have to keep an eye on them

peter
KG Regular

Just barrowed a tree sugeons transit van load of shredded tree into the site from fifty yards away.
Free but an hour or two of exercise. :D
Now stacked for help yourself to all.
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic