Full blown Spring Bits and Bobs. - 2017

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Pawty
KG Regular

Walking back from the lotty today I came across this little fellow crossing the canal path. I stayed while he crossed to make sure he didn't get squashed by any bikes. Love finding them - sign of a heathy environment.

Pawty
Attachments
IMG_3559.JPG
IMG_3559.JPG (448.9 KiB) Viewed 3158 times
Primrose
KG Regular

Oh what a lucky find. And how kind of you to do the Patrol Lady road crossing! Is it a slow worm? He obviously moved slowly enough for you to get this nice photo of him,
The last time I spotted one of these was in the garden a few years ago and by the time I'd gone into the house to call my husband to come out and have a peek at it, it had completely disappeared so they can move quite quickly when they choose to !

We have a footpath near us where stag beetles breed and at this time of year I,m always one the look out for them and move them to a safer place to avoid somebody's size 10 shoes crushing them to death.
Pawty
KG Regular

Hi,

Yes, a very lovely slow worm. We get them at the lotty - they love to live under the black plastic sheeting to take advantage of the heat. I always remove the sheets carefully, with Mr Pawty at the ready with his camera!

Stag Beatles- they sound pretty cool.

Pawty
Westi
KG Regular

For some reason I manage to get brassica's - there is no special talent from me I can assure you!

I have had 10 years of failures before they suddenly decided they like the plot. Today I found 2 heading up, was nought to shout about a week ago when I weeded the bed & they are only about hand size but look pretty ready & will probably not get too big. Must remember to monitor them closely or they may well blow in the warmer weather.
Westi
Westi
KG Regular

Oops forgot I had a pic!
IMG_1030.JPG
IMG_1030.JPG (2.23 MiB) Viewed 3148 times
Westi
Primrose
KG Regular

Cauliflower cheese here we come! That looks a nice healthy plant.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

It looks like a perfect gardening day today, sunny but not too hot, sweet scents and bird song. Lovely.
Pawty
KG Regular

Hi,

Apparently there's a stag beetle survey going on. Link below on how to identify and report - going to keep my eyes out for them. Can't believe they spend their first 5- 7 years underground, emerge, find a mate, and then that's it!

https://ptes.org/campaigns/stag-beetles ... tle-facts/

Pawty
Primrose
KG Regular

Thanks for posting that Pawty. I discovered the survey last year when a I found a stag beetle in A footpath near out house and did some research on it. Apparently it had become a breeding ground because the council had left some fallen trees to rot down. I also put up a laminated notice on a pole at the entrance to the footpath with a few facts about their breeding habits and asking people to watch where they trod.
Seeing them fly is fantastic but as you say, such a long breeding time and such a short moment of glory,
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Primrose wrote: such a long breeding time and such a short moment of glory,

I know the feeling !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bet they enjoy the moment though

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Pawty
KG Regular

Hi,

Well there you go. Walking to the lotty after work today and look what I found on the canal path! Same place I saw the slow worm - what a haven for wildlife. To be fair- She wasn't overly happy at having her picture taken... in fact was a bit angry!
Attachments
IMG_3579.JPG
IMG_3579.JPG (736.78 KiB) Viewed 3067 times
Pa Snip
KG Regular

This organisation wants to know about it

https://ptes.org/campaigns/stag-beetles/

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Primrose
KG Regular

Lovely find Pawty. Better than looking down and finding a £1 coins on the pavement!
Things come in threes. What next at wonder?
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Lovely photos Pawty what a great find I've never seen one up here. We've very few ground beetles either and there used to be lots of them.

Just had RHS Chatsworth on gardener's world and what a coincidence, another quarry has got best in show. Can you see them catching on? Although thinking about it my garden looked rather like a quarry when my son got a bit carried away with the mini digger when he was digging out my pond.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic