Swallows

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

oldherbaceous
KG Regular

First Swallow going in and out of the stable, so hopefully it will find a mate this year and have some young.
Still no Cuckoo about yet, i do hope we haven't lost it, as last year it was singing for a few weeks then stopped. Whether this was down to it getting killed, or just simply not finding a mate, then moving on, i don't know. I can never remember a year without one at all, so fingers crossed. I will ask my neighbour Hazel, (who is ninety and lived in the same house for as many years), if she has known a year without the Cuckoo before...
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Monika
KG Regular

Still not seen or heard a swallow but today we heard the first blackcap and also, unmistakably, a sedge warbler which we had not had for a few years. They used to nest in the nature reserve in front of our house but about 15 years ago simply disappeared, so it was good to hear one again. Though it may just be passing through, of course.

Sunshine and sleet showers this afternoon ......
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Had to check closely that this wasn't a Penguin, it's flippin' freezin' up here
ImageRazorbill2 by R MAURINS, on Flickr
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

You've just reminded me of when we were doing a bit of bird watching at Spurn and some anglers came dashing up to shouting "quick there's some penguins". They were really disappointed when we told them they were Little Auk. Your Razor bill is a great shot, I wish we lived nearer the coast.
Monika
KG Regular

I like that, Plumpudding! We used to go to Spurn Point regularly (when we were younger and more mobile!). One mid-October day after a very misty night with the wind off the north sea, all the shrubs were covered in migrating birds, including hundreds of goldcrests and even the fishermen were most intrigued. It's a fascinating place for birdwatchers.

Saw the first swallows of the year last night, at the river Wenning near Clapham, North Yorkshire.
Primrose
KG Regular

No sign of swallows here. Only the regular pair of mating mallards who appear every spring looking for a nesting site. This morning the female was sitting on our front door mat. Hoping she doesn,t choose the strawberry bed in the front garden. They pick some pretty daft places sometimes although I guess it would clear the strawberry bed slug problem! Haven,t seen many there this year though. Probabky too dry. Haven,t heard our regular Cuckoo for several springs now though so guess that's another piece of wildlife lost.
tigerburnie
KG Regular

Warmer and brighter today 9 degrees and quite a few Hirundines about, only Swifts missing now
Been gardening for over 65 years and still learning.
Johnboy
KG Regular

More Swallows arrived overnight but have not managed to say how many as yet. They are weaving a all over the place and to really be sure they all have to be in the air at the same time. Some are already sitting so it may not be possible now. I am very pleased with the amount so far.
JB.
Geoff
KG Regular

First Swifts today.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic