Temptingly early Spring Bits and Bobs.- 2017

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I was in the greenhouse at 5.45am this morning, and apart from 2 ten minute breaks, was out their potting up plants until half an hour ago......i think i have set in a potting up stance... :) it did get very warm in the greenhouse too, but carrying plants round to the back greenhouse, the wind was enough to cut you in half.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
robo
KG Regular

We have had summers day here today absolutely gorgeous no wind and wall to wall blue skies
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Sunny day, chill wind, quite strong gusts. Keep coat on job.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

A compost trench for beans ? I'm so busy doing other things I hadn't thought about it, this will be my first year growing climbing beans. I like bush beans but they fall over and it's time I tried the hybrid French climbing bean. I'm still catching up grass cutting and hedge planting.

I didn't burn my nose in the sun, did you ?
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
Geoff
KG Regular

No just the top of my head, ditched the woolly hat and didn't search out the sun hat soon enough.
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

kicking my heels waiting for it to get light today, to press on with the potting up.....a quick cup of tea and toast, then back out there...
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

oldherbaceous wrote:kicking my heels waiting for it to get light today, to press on with the potting up.....a quick cup of tea and toast, then back out there...

Made me think of a 60's tune

Slow down, you move too fast
You got to make the morning last
Just kicking down the cobblestones
Looking for fun and feeling groovy
Ba da-da da-da da-da, feeling groovy

Hello lamppost, what'cha knowing
I've come to watch your flowers growin'
Ain't cha got no rhymes for me?
Doo-ait-n-doo-doo, feeling groovy
Ba da-da da-da da-da, feeling groovy

I got no deeds to do, no promises to keep
I'm dappled and drowsy and ready to sleep
Let the morningtime drop all its petals on me
Life, I love you, all is groovy

Songwriters: PAUL SIMON
The 59th Street Bridge Song ((Feeling Groovy)

Simon & Garfunkel

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Primrose
KG Regular

Ricard with an H wrote:A compost trench for beans ? I'm so busy doing other things I hadn't thought about it, this will be my first year growing climbing beans. I like bush beans but they fall over and it's time I tried the hybrid French climbing bean. I'm still catching up grass cutting and hedge planting.

I didn't burn my nose in the sun, did you ?

I saw an acquaintance doing a trench technique some years ago and as they're heavy feeders thought I'd try it as I grow my climbing beans and tomatoes in a straight row along a south facing fence. As soon as I dismantle everything in late October, I dig a trench along the border and fill in with the chopped up bean & tomato haulms, lawn cuttings, kitchen waste, fallen leaves.etc. Fill it in late November and by the time I,m ready to plant beans and tomatoes out everything has nicely rotted down in situ. When I forked over the soil yesterday to re-erect the bean pole and a tomato stakes the soil was full of worms.

It also savesme the trouble of having to wheelbarrow compost across the garden to that area. (Trying to reduce physical work these days!). I much prefer climbing beans as the lower beans on bush beans always droop onto the earth and get eaten by slugs. Climbing beans easier to spot and pick too.
robo
KG Regular

Talking about Paul Simon he written Homeward bound while waiting on Widnes station for a train, if you ever seen Widnes station you would wonder how and why it inspired him to write such a great song
alan refail
KG Regular

He later said: "If you'd ever seen Widnes, then you'd know why I was keen to get back to London as quickly as possible."
Cred air o bob deg a glywi, a thi a gei rywfaint bach o wir (hen ddihareb Gymraeg)
Believe one tenth of what you hear, and you will get some little truth (old Welsh proverb)
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

Primrose wrote: I much prefer climbing beans as the lower beans on bush beans always droop onto the earth and get eaten by slugs. Climbing beans easier to spot and pick too.

Oh-yes, it's taking time but I do learn from my mistakes. And thank you for illustrating your composting techniques for saving energy. Something else I need to work on.

Right now I'm working myself into the ground every day though I go to bed early and rise with a smile because I need to achieve, I have friends and neighbours who can only be described as, "Waiting for God" who think I need help.

40 hedging plants in and all my grass cut though not a lot of weeding has been done and they are growing very quickly. I use glyphosate where I can but NEVER on ground producing food though from recent reading it's not not enough. We-all have to stop using glyphosate.

Our local farmlands use a lot of organic methods but they use use glyphosate regularly when it suits them, the glyphosate is already in the food chain unless we buy organic. If we buy organic we still have to breath air that contains shite unless you managed to escape.
How are you supposed to start and maintain a healthy lifestyle if it completely removes a wine lover’s reason to live?
Richard.
Ricard with an H
KG Regular

Today out of our bedroom window, we have one bedroom in the roof and an office in the roof. So lovely today and bluetits are nesting in a box I forgot to mount in a suitable place leaving it on a small garden table I use for potting, what do I do ?
Attachments
IMG_1119.jpg
IMG_1119.jpg (92.95 KiB) Viewed 3003 times
Richard.
Pa Snip
KG Regular

change where you pot. no other option.

Monika
KG Regular

Richard, if you hang the box up now within sight of where it was on the table, the bluetits are likely to continue building their nest as if nothing has happened.
Geoff
KG Regular

Hopefully the muck mulch will give me a good fruit crop, I wish I could get blueberries (on the right) to grow as well as blackcurrants. Looks like we've all had a lovely weekend.

IMG_3814_R.jpg
IMG_3814_R.jpg (1.47 MiB) Viewed 2987 times
Locked Previous topicNext topic