Pa Snip Enterprise Log

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Pa Snip
KG Regular

PLUMPUDDING wrote:Very impressive Pa.
At least your raised bed is just what you want and looks very useful.

Thanks PP, hopefully it will be

tigerburnie wrote:Impressive set up Pa

Cheers Tiger, glad you think so.

retropants wrote:most impressive! is that your own topsoil moved from elsewhere, or new delivered? looks lovely!

Retro, it was some that was unused from the delivery of 75% topsoil and 25% composted manure that I had delivered Oct last year.
I had kept it covered with builders merchant type tote bags. Was amazed at number of worms that had taken up residence.
Robin was loving me :)

robo wrote:You must have Viking blood in you pa snip if it had a point at one end you could be in France in a couple of days

I'd sooner be on Isle of Wight :) Or perhaps I could find a uninhabited island in the Scilly's :lol:

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Westi
KG Regular

Where did you get those cold frames from Pa? Like them, I note anchored down well but nicely vented it appears.
Westi
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Westi wrote:Where did you get those cold frames from Pa? Like them, I note anchored down well but nicely vented it appears.

They were sold under the 'Botanico' brand name some years ago.
I got them half price as they were discontinued. They are lightweight plastic with anodised aluminium framework so have to secure them well at that height, even on a good day the wind whistles across our site and one broke away recently leaving me with some repair work still to be done

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Westi
KG Regular

Just my luck - discontinued! Not to worry, my many travels on the Internet will find me something! I will obviously be looking for something completely different & get distracted, but sometimes it works out fine! ;)
Westi
robo
KG Regular

westi im sure with some one and half inch square timber some pollycarb and a pair of vals old knickers you could make your own
Westi
KG Regular

Funny Robo! :)

Some duct tape, cable ties & No Nails & I can build anything - momentarily anyway! ;)
Westi
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Westi wrote:Funny Robo! :)

Some duct tape, cable ties & No Nails & I can build anything - momentarily anyway! ;)

Duct tape and cable ties sounds slightly perverse and that No Nails stuff is all very well but you cant beat a good screw :oops:

Pa Snip
KG Regular

A post I made on my Facebook page last night:-

A good productive plot is well tended and well planned.
Getting the correct number of seeds to sow to avoid wastage but still end up with germination of the correct amount required is almost an art form but mainly guesswork.

I sowed a complete packet of onion seed back in December, 120 seeds. 40 germinated.

We decided to cut back and plant less of one veg this year.
Looking for just 2 germinations each of two varieties of one veg plant for this season we sowed 6 of each.
Fickle things seeds, so often so few actually germinate. Then there comes the exceptions.

So the question now is what are we going to do with both types of COURGETTE !! as all 12 of the two types have just started to break ground.

Hate to waste them, will try giving some away but suspect they will end up on the compost heap. Planting out two plants of each should be more than enough for us

Westi
KG Regular

Sell them Pa! Put a little bench outside your house or if allowed at the allotment & ask 50p or so, don't waste them. There may be folk like me who are not having much success. I bought one green plant from the lottie shop today for 60p as on 3rd sowing of them, but looks like the yellow ones I re-sowed might be peeking through. You watch though - the whole lot will suddenly grow, including the previous sowings. I couldn't find the seeds in the pot & assumed they had perished, but probably lurking in the compost somewhere waiting to say Hi!
Westi
robo
KG Regular

I planted the free onion seeds I got last year ignored the instructions and planted them in November left them in the pollytunnel over winter then put them in the onion bed in February I'm impressed they are at least three times taller than the sets I planted and look really healthy
Pawty
KG Regular

Pa Snip - I've planted a similar number of courgettes, working on a 50% success rate... it's not looking good so far.

I have suggested a seedling swap ( or give away) at our allotment. Plan is to put some grocers wooden boxes in a car parking space every Sunday between 10 -12. People can bring seedlings which are left over and help them selves to what's there. We then need to decide if what's left will go on a compost or if we can find a charity shop which will take them all for selling on a Monday morning. Win win - especially if the seedlings are in recycled yogurt pots etc.. as then no cost on pots.

I'm not sure it'll catch on but we'll give it a try.

Pawty
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Pawty.

Good idea. worth a try.
On our site it might encourage people to be there at a regular time for a few weeks.

Good luck with the Courgettes. Have you sown the freebie Marrow seeds for the competition ?

Westi
KG Regular

Oh Pa!
You interested in the competition then? How about we just say our forum members won't win the £100, (or maybe will), but shall we ALL try (if space allows obviously), & see what we can do between ourselves & visitors to the forum? Can you set it up Pa, so we can register members/readers wanting to try? Set the ground rules, inside or outside, etc?
Westi
Pa Snip
KG Regular

I thought KG had set out the ground rules, if there are any. It was to be undertaken using the free giveaway pkt of Marrow seed

Far as I'm concerned the simpler it is the better.

PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

I'd have a go if I liked marrows.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic