Pa Snip Enterprise Log

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Pa Snip
KG Regular

PLUMPUDDING wrote:I'd have a go if I liked marrows.

we don't either but will still have a go.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Westi
KG Regular

Ah Pa! I was thinking categories for the forum members just for fun. Largest in a poly tunnel, outside, ugliest, looks like someone, something etc. We post on our finished specimen on here on a set date & then vote. Do they still do that vote thing on here?

PP: I'm with you on that, I will stuff a large courgette that has hid itself, but proper big marrows are just too watery.
Westi
Pawty
KG Regular

Hi,

I'm afraid I haven't sown the free marrow seeds. I was looking at lotty earlier trying to decide if I could fit a plant in - unfortunately I only have a half plot so room is at a premium - the place I would have put it is currently occupied by a huge pile of poo which isn't going anywhere quickly. Although, based on my usual growing I'm sure there'll be courgettes which measure in comparison to the marrow!

Pawty
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Pawty, you are forgiven, we like poo piles more than marrows :D

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Put your seeds in the poo pile, it could produce winners
Westi
KG Regular

Agree PP! But damn, Pawty has a poo pile - main contender revealed a secret already! :)

Pawty, chuck them in the poo pile, they will love it!
Westi
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Dear Pawty, if you do put them in the poo pile, dig a hole in it first and fill this with a bucket of soil or compost....it will stop the early roots getting burnt.
Kind Regards, Old Herbaceous.

There's no fool like an old fool.
Pawty
KG Regular

Hi,

Well, I'm going to have to do this now! Will start off a couple of seeds later on and see how it goes. Think we're going to have to start a new thread and get some progress pictures going.

Are we all going for one plant each or are people going for several to maximise the chances?

Pawty
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Well done Pawty

I'll go a couple of plants.
Agree about new thread needed solely on the subject

peter
KG Regular

As a student I spent a summer working on a farm.
We ended the period with muck spreading from the cattle, started with the pile in the fields, then contractors arrived and we moved to the slurry pit behind the cattle shed.
An (in)elegant arrangement had an upside down ramp on one end of the shed which brought the central aisle our over the pit and an old tractor with a front mounted scraper did a couple of up and down passes daily.

As we started I wondered why one of the elderly farmhands was edging out onto the surface of the pit on a scaffold board?

He was retrieving his entries for biggest marrow at the village show.
Every year he put a couple of plants in there, a risky venture I think! :shock: :roll: :?
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
robo
KG Regular

Ooh I think I'm going to build a thunder box down the plot so I can have my own poo pile :lol: :lol:
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

I'm going to be honest, so i'm growing three plants......don't all look like that, i can be honest when i put my mind to it, honest.... :)

peter
KG Regular

Reminds me of the way the farm had to help the contractors get their huge expensive four wheel drive tractors out of the pit as the level sank. Their spreader trailers were rear discharge so no pushing with the drot that was assisting the hymac to load up.

An elderly Fordon had it's wheels swapped for metal ones like below, but I recall them as being more like 1/4" thick American spade shapes than the gear teeth on the image.
Drove it back to the workshop once we finished, oh boy, thud, thud, whole machine whacking down on hard surface, thank heavens for the old on the end of a curved spring metal tractor seat. :D
spadewheel.jpg
spadewheel.jpg (114 KiB) Viewed 2862 times

Drot is a bulldozer with a split loader style bucket, back works as a blade when the edges are swung up like a hinged hoop. Not sure if it's a Hertfordshire term or what. :?
Do not put off thanking people when they have helped you, as they may not be there to thank later.

I support http://www.hearingdogs.org.uk/
oldherbaceous
KG Regular

Drot is a Bedfordshire term too, Peter!
While on about Fordson's, the Farmer that lived next to us did a 6 cylinder conversion on his later Fordson. First time he went out ploughing, the plough bit into something solid and the tractor wound itself up on it's back wheels, so he dipped the clutch quickly which let the front end of the tractor fall to the ground, cracking the engine casings.....so it was back to the drawing board....
Although it was a lucky escape, as i think in theory, could it have gone right over?

robo
KG Regular

A drot up here is a bull dozer , a split bucket is a split bucket the blade on the rear is a ripper at least that's what they were all called when I was on housing sites and motor ways
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic