Pa Snip Enterprise Log

A place to chat about anything you like, including non-gardening related subjects. Just keep it clean, please!

Moderators: KG Steve, Chantal, Tigger, peter, Chief Spud

Pa Snip
KG Regular

K G Log Four One Twenty Seventeen

Space Air Temperature +2
Earth Local Landing Time 10:05am

Other than myself there is no sign of human presence in immediate area today

The Mission:- To boldly grow

DSC_960402.jpg
DSC_960402.jpg (95.92 KiB) Viewed 4639 times

Episode One:- The Plot
10 pole, Generally untidy.

DSC_961109.jpg
DSC_961109.jpg (88.77 KiB) Viewed 4639 times

Visit Objective, dig some of the parsnips, remove weeds that cling on despite the recent cold weather

DSC_961210.jpg
DSC_961210.jpg (76.42 KiB) Viewed 4639 times
Last edited by Pa Snip on Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:46 am, edited 4 times in total.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Pa Snip
KG Regular

K G Log Four One Twenty Seventeen Continued

Craft showing signs of leeks, nearly past point of consumption.

DSC_961412.jpg
DSC_961412.jpg (125.9 KiB) Viewed 4638 times

Area shows signs of life, Onions, Shallots & Garlic

DSC_961614.jpg
DSC_961614.jpg (180.18 KiB) Viewed 4638 times

Rhubarb like creature showing signs of life behind shed. Gave it a feed of manure.
Unknown type already established when we first landed on plot, believed to be Champagne. Did not attack.

DSC_962220.jpg
DSC_962220.jpg (213.12 KiB) Viewed 4638 times
Last edited by Pa Snip on Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The danger when people start to believe their own publicity is that they often fall off their own ego.

At least travelling under the guise of the Pa Snip Enterprise gives me an excuse for appearing to be on another planet
Pa Snip
KG Regular

K G Log Four One Twenty Seventeen Continued

Spring Hero Cabbage overwintering, currently surrounded by cling on weeds but coping. Must attack cling on's as soon as possible.

DSC_962422.jpg
DSC_962422.jpg (200.09 KiB) Viewed 4639 times

Took off for return to base at
DSC_962018.jpg
DSC_962018.jpg (47.46 KiB) Viewed 4639 times

Temperature on departure
DSC_961816.jpg
DSC_961816.jpg (43.59 KiB) Viewed 4639 times

PLUMPUDDING
KG Regular

Great Pa, my plot has also had an invasion of cling ons but I might need to send for reinforcements to take them on.
robo
KG Regular

You could say there are clingons on your starboard bed
Tony Hague
KG Regular

If that's a "generally untidy" plot I don't want to hear your description of mine :oops:
Westi
KG Regular

Looking good Pa!

That is what it is all about - we sow, we grow! :) And you are very successful! Reap the rewards, share your hints & tips! Your Aliens are looking grand btw!
Westi
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Westi

I've got some overwintering Japanese aliens, and some exhibition aliens. I was going to plant some more but had to say 'that's shallot' until spring, oh then I can sow some spring aliens as well.

On a serious note I had Leeks growing in 3 different parts of the plot and each area suffered some varying degrees of damage from leek miner, they are now starting to go soft. The ones in the picture above are Musselburgh.
The best tasting were Northern Lights with Cairngorm coming a close second.

retropants
KG Regular

Great posts and pics Pa Snip! My leeks also looked fabulous initially, but now most have moth/miner damage and are inedible. Very disappointing, they looked to be the best I've grown in the 25 years I've been doing this!
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Tony
Thanks Tony but If I took some close ups rather than general overviews you would see what I mean.

Plumpudding
That's the trouble, the Pa Snip Troopers didn't rally and the invasion needs quelling
Despite what cold we've had the clingons seem to be living long and prospering.

Retropants
We had some good meals from ours, from late Oct through Nov & Dec. But now, I have to be very selective and I'm not keeping the waste leeks on the compost heap.

Late 2015 and early 2016 I seemed to have had more enthusiasm than I've had these last few months.

The ground has held a lot of moisture under the last layer of composted manure it has on it, well its more mini heaps across the entire plot really, it needs spreading right out and digging in

If I had got up there more often I might have harvested the Bedford Sprouts before they blew and the leeks could have been dug, blanched and frozen.

My own fault.

Pa Snip
KG Regular

K G Log Five One Twenty Seventeen

Set forth to investigate the sheer solar module on edge of territory (in other words the greenhouse at the bottom of the garden)

Saw evidence of life and feeling very pleased that the 2017 growing season has started.

The 120 D T Brown 'Exhibition' onion seeds that I sowed on Boxing Day are starting to germinate, only a few showing at present but well satisfying.

Shallot Man
KG Regular

My leeks look as though they have seen better times.
Primrose
KG Regular

Pa. your leeks look a darned sight better than mine!! I have yet to dig up my four parnships which germinated at the third attempt. O aliens flying into your plot from my direction. They!re all lurking late in bed on these cold frosty mornings and sometimes don!t even emerge until the sun has risen ! That's what retirement does to you !!
Oh I thought the stuff round the base of the cabbages might be green manure ??? :lol:
Pa Snip
KG Regular

Primrose wrote:Oh I thought the stuff round the base of the cabbages might be green manure ??? :lol:

No , the manure isn't green, definitely brown, the lorry is green & white though. :roll:
Around the cabbages is certainly cling on weed.

Did pop up the plot late morning and dug some of he Musselburgh leeks to see if there were any for dinner tonight.
Dug 10 and only threw 2 away for having gone soft. They were delish !!
Result !!!!!! Still a few more in the bed yet

retropants
KG Regular

I will be checking our leeks over on Sunday, hopefully there will be a few I can chop and freeze!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic